help with 130p

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

help with 130p

Postby weealan123 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:41 pm

What eyepieces can i get for heritage 130p skywatcher anyone who can help would be good
weealan123

Re: help with 130p

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:05 pm

What eye-pieces do you currently have? What are you most interested in looking at?
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Supercooper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am

Hi there,

The Heritage 130p is a great starter instrument. SkyWatcher are an excellent telescope manufacturer and give refreshingly conservitive magnifications - Useful ones! You don't say whether you have the equatorial or Alt-Az mounting, but this advice works well for both.

Your focal length (130p f5 = 650mm) divided by your eyepiece (10mm or 25mm) gives your magnification.
Your 10mm = 65x
And your 25mm = 26x.
Any new eyepiece you buy conforms to this formula.

The instrument accepts 1.25" diameter standard eyepieces and accessories so you can buy those.
A Barlow lens might be useful. this is used in conjunction with an eyepiece to effectively increase the power. So any eyepiece you have or buy in the future will have two magnifications. With and without the Barlow lens.

However, if you want to see the planets at a reasonable image scale you will need to magnify 100x and over... But, you need to be wary of trying to magnify too much. A magnification of about 200x is the maximum this little scope can handle generally. Don't worry too much if an eyepiece takes you a little over 200x, the 'theoretical' Newtonian Telescope maximum magnification, for very very good seeing nights, is 50x per inch of apperture or, in your case, 250x.

1: You could achieve 120x (And get some detail on the planets) by using a 2xBarlow and your 10mm eyepiece - So all you would have to buy would be a 2x Barlow.

2: Another route open to you is to buy a 6mm eyepiece and have views at 108x magnification. The objects will be easier to track on your mounting than with powers over 120x, and you'll have more fun.

3: Most expense - You could buy a 2x Barlow AND an 8mm eyepiece. Giving 8mm alone = 81x and with the 2xBarlow, 162x - Which might be useful on excellent nights, but would have inherant tracking diffculties (for a beginner).

4: If your telescope is on a Go-To mount you can have these higher magnifications without tracking problems because of the auto-tracking - But, if you havent't bought a Go-To telescope, you've done the right thing! (See my guide).

Luckily for you, you bought the parabolic mirror version, and you can use these higher magnifications, on the best nights, with good results.

If you want to know all the ins-and-outs of telescope optics, please visit my Choosing a Telescope: Complete Essentials Guide at: http://supercooper.jimdo.com

I hope this has been helpful.
Last edited by Supercooper on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby weealan123 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:59 am

I have the eyepieces you get with it 10mm and super wide 25 also bought 2xbarlow struggling to see nebulas but
weealan123

Postby Supercooper » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:18 am

Nebulae are tricky for the beginner. Your 65x magnification is fine for observing Deep Sky Objects - However, your telescope diameter is a little small for the fainter objects in the Messier catalogue until you become more used to seeing astronomical objects through a telescope.

I would suggest, to get you seeing these objects is to look for the 'easier' ones first.

M31 (Andromeda - Galaxy)
M42 (Orion-The Great Nebula)
M13 (Hercules - The Great Globular)
M27 (Vulpecula - The Dumb-bell)
M44 (Cancer - The Beehive)
M15 (Pegasus - Globular)
M35 (Gemini - Loose cluster)

What you will have trouble with is most of the others as a beginner - It takes time to learn how to see. Don't try the following until you can easily see M27.

M57 (Lyra - The Ring)
M51 (Ursa Major - The Whirlpool)
M103 (Cassiopea - Galaxy)
M33 (Triangulum - Galaxy)
M97 (Ursa Major - The Owl)
M78 (Orion - Nebula)
M41 (Canis Major)

The above will be just too hard for a beginner. As a beginner you'll need higher magnifications and much more light - Say a 200mm Newtonian - to see these objects, they're so faint or small.

Almost any eyepiece type would be OK with the Barlow in tandem (ie at least f10). For use in its own I would suggest that Plossl / Orthoscopic eyepieces will work best with your short focal ratio instrument.

I hope this helps.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby ThePeltonian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:41 pm

I have a really good view of Orions Nebulae last night using my 127MAK

2x Barlow
25mm eyepiece

Its good to try with and without the barlow as you could miss it as zoomed in too much.

To see what the different lenses and barlows do there is this fabulous little app:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

SAN listing it at the moment...

Stu
ThePeltonian

Postby Supercooper » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:00 am

Great site that! Got stuck in ther for half an hour messing about with my various telescopes settings and eyepieces. Great stuff Pelto'.

Barry

Supercooper

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:58 am

One thing to be aware of is that more powerful eyepieces have smaller eye lenses, and generally shorter eye relief - so something like the suggested 6mm eyepiece can be quite tricky to see through, particularly for the lower budget Plossl designs.

One of the advantages of using a barlow lens is that you get the magnification of a higher power eyepiece, but retain most of the usability of the lower power one.

You can get eyepiece designs that are easier to use at shorter focal lengths, and if you have a local astro society, you can go along to their meetings and see what other people in your area are using, if they have observing sessions, you may be able to borrow other people's EPs to try them out in your scope.
You might want to consider something like the Baader Hyperion 13mm eyepiece that'll fit in the gap between your existing EPs - and if you have a 2x Barlow it'll give you a 6.5mm equivalent if the seeing is good.

Here's a very positive review of your scope - and suggests some targets that you should find easily visible.
https://telescopereviewsuk.wordpress.co ... telescope/

However, to be honest, my main suggestion would be to check out to see if there are any local astro societies, as (in my experience) they are always happy to help a relative newbie - both with their experience and with giving try-out opportunities with equipment.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to General