Venus goes behind the moon

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Venus goes behind the moon

Postby Aratus » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 pm

From my location Venus will go behind the thin crescent moon at 0737 UT (8:37am) on the 6th April. It reappears from the unlit side at 0802 UT (9:02am). It will be a little earlier further south, and later further north. On the Scottish border area, north, it will miss the moon altogether. The problem will be locating the 28 day crescent moon, just 16 degrees directly west of the sun and more or less the same altitude. It would be very dangerous to sweep around with binoculars or a telescope. :o This is one for a sun aligned 'goto' (with proper sun filter!) or setting circles only. Venus is very small at the moment with almost no phase showing, so capturing the process of occultation (It takes 1 minute for Venus to disappear at my location) and making it look good will require a lot of magnification.

Weather permitting, I'll give it a go, but the forecast for my area is not good.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Venus goes behind the moon

Postby Aratus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Needless to say I woke up to torrential rain this morning. Beautiful blue sky by 11am, but too late . . . :cry:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Venus goes behind the moon

Postby mariofs » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:07 pm

what are the 2 birght object at night?
mariofs

Return to Astro Alerts