Telescope Storage High Temperature Question

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Telescope Storage High Temperature Question

Postby mr_x9909 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:04 am

Hi,

I have a reflector telescope which I am storing it in a closed room in the desert in Dubai where the temperature can go up 52 Celsius in summer.
Is that OK to store it the room or it will be damaged or something.
Please provide any solutions if you have.

Thanks
mr_x9909

Re: Telescope Storage High Temperature Question

Postby Aratus » Mon May 09, 2016 5:04 pm

The only thing I have heard about high temperatures and telescopes is the danger of plastics, oils and lubricants 'gassing' out and coating the optics.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby mr_x9909 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:56 pm

Aratus wrote:The only thing I have heard about high temperatures and telescopes is the danger of plastics, oils and lubricants 'gassing' out and coating the optics.

I don't know if 52 Celsius can make them gassing out or not.
What about the electronics? It is automatic telescope with a system.
mr_x9909

Postby Aratus » Tue May 10, 2016 12:18 pm

I think some folk have had problems at lower temperatures than that, with their optics being coated with a film. It is probably more of an acute problem with a sealed units like a Schmidt-Cassigrain, but unventilated it could cause a problem to a Newtonian.

I think we can safely say that running electronics at 50C is asking for trouble, but I don't think storing them at that temperature would be a problem. Frankly it isn't a condition I have ever met before. Perhaps there are temperature recommendations in the manual.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby mr_x9909 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Aratus wrote:I think some folk have had problems at lower temperatures than that, with their optics being coated with a film. It is probably more of an acute problem with a sealed units like a Schmidt-Cassigrain, but unventilated it could cause a problem to a Newtonian.

I think we can safely say that running electronics at 50C is asking for trouble, but I don't think storing them at that temperature would be a problem. Frankly it isn't a condition I have ever met before. Perhaps there are temperature recommendations in the manual.

Thanks for your answer I tried in the manual but I didn't find.The telescope is Reflector-Skywatcher(EQ5)(200mm/1000mm).

Do you have any idea about the affect on this telescope?
mr_x9909

Postby Aratus » Wed May 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Looking around at various electronic storage temeratures, 50C is right on the edge of the highest recommendation for normal electronics. The problems with lubricants, glues and plastics softening, melting and outgassing is equally real. I suspect if you were to contact 'Sky-watcher' and ask them, they wouldn't recommend it.
Aratus

Return to General