Making mosaic pictures

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Making mosaic pictures

Postby cwardlaw » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 am

I am beginning to create some simple pictures of The moon with my Alt/az mount at the moment. As my camera is not full frame I would like to/believe it is possible to create mosaics to join the various sections together?

Can anyone help me with how to do this please?

Thank you

C Wardlaw
cwardlaw

Re: Making mosaic pictures

Postby Aratus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:06 pm

It is possible. Any decent graphics program will enable you to overlay sections together. I often take a top and bottom of the moon and simply join them tother. As long as the photos have the same exposure etc, and one is taken within a minute or two of the other there is no problem. I did once put together a super sized photo with 8 exposures. (If I ever wanted it printing, it would take up half a wall!) Basically create a graphic big enough to accomodate all the sections. Cut and paste as sections, and join them together. I find it helps to keep the cut away from any edge where there might be different focussing or exposure from the rest of the image. I use Paint Shop Pro. Others use 'Photoshop', and there is 'Gimp' which is free.

Some graphic programs will have a 'stitching' process that smooths out any imperfections. I've never needed that for the moon.

It would be interesting to hear how others do this.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Aratus wrote:It is possible. Any decent graphics program will enable you to overlay sections together. I often take a top and bottom of the moon and simply join them tother. As long as the photos have the same exposure etc, and one is taken within a minute or two of the other there is no problem. I did once put together a super sized photo with 8 exposures. (If I ever wanted it printing, it would take up half a wall!) Basically create a graphic big enough to accomodate all the sections. Cut and paste as sections, and join them together. I find it helps to keep the cut away from any edge where there might be different focussing or exposure from the rest of the image. I use Paint Shop Pro. Others use 'Photoshop', and there is 'Gimp' which is free.

Some graphic programs will have a 'stitching' process that smooths out any imperfections. I've never needed that for the moon.

It would be interesting to hear how others do this.

Microsoft's Image Composite Editor is a free Windows program that will analyse and stitch programs together in 2 dimensions. It's very straightforward to use - simply select all the images you want to try to stitch and ICE will work out how the parts fit together.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:08 pm

I'd not heard of that before, so I thought I would try it out. I just loaded a north and south image of the moon, pressed the button and voila - a whole picture of the moon! 'Wonders will never cease' !
It doesn't do it any better, but it is a lot easier and faster.
I wonder if it will work for other objects?

Many thanks for the suggestion. :ugeek:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes, I use Microsoft ICE extensively. I also use it for stacking full disc lunar images.

You can download it from here: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/Downloads.html
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question