Images

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Images

Postby cwardlaw » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Another simple question I am sure... I have taken many images from one night, with DSLR on the back of my scope. Having downloaded them onto my laptop they are no longer jpeg images so will not show up in the files when trying to upload to a processing prog such as MICE or registaks. Can anyone tell me how to alter them into a format where i can access them in the folder which I know they are in.

Thanks

C Wardlaw
cwardlaw

Re: Images

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Firstly, you need to find out what file type they are downloading as.

Ideally you should have your dSLR save them as RAW files rather than JPEG. Different manufacturers have their own format (and file type) or they may save them as DNG - a standard file type. Both Image Composite Editor and DSS should allow you to import RAW files, but Registax is more limited.

To find out what file type they are - open Windows Explorer for the download folder that contains them, and select the View tab - then tick the File name extensions tickbox.
If they are a RAW image type and you want to open them in Registax, you can download FastStone Image Viewer. This allows you to open RAW files and save them as TIF files which can be opened in Registax
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Re: Images

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Although it's time-consuming, PiPP is very good for converting formats. I have tried Registax but it doesn't handle the large files produced by a DSLR. DSS and MICE are much better.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question