Hello folks

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello folks

Postby Omniscient » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Just a quick hello. I'm Hajk, 25 years old from The Netherlands.

I have owned a Orion 10" goto dob and I'm looking for something new wich gives me the opportunity to start out with taking pictures since that has always been my goal.

Many, many people told me that despite the urge to start with photography right away I should rather wait a while to see if it's really my thing or not. It is. Been roughly 1.5 years with my 10" goto dob from Orion and I'm definitely in for some more. So, that is how I ended up here, looking for more advice on wich telescope to buy that allows some beginner level astrophotography. I don't have the budget to spend tens of thousands of dollars to equipment so I have to settle for a telescope/camera concept. I was thinking about the Meade LX200 10" variant.

Any advice is welcome, I'll make a separate post specifically to the question shortly. (Mostly copy/paste without the intro part.) Feel free to post here or via pm.

Clear skies!
Omniscient

Re: Hello folks

Postby Aratus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:26 pm

Hartelijke Welkom, Hajk !

Almost any telescope with a computerised mount will allow you to take photographs. A 10" SCT would do the job. You are limited to 30 sec/ 1min exposures on an alt-azimuth mount, but that is more than enough for lunar and planetary work. The are plenty of deep space objects that are bright enough too. You can add a wedge later for equatorial exposures. You could go for an equatorial mount straight off, but for photographic work, that is a lot of setting up. I say go for the easy stuff first, and learn the ropes.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Hello folks

Postby nzn » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 am

Hello. I am crazy abut astronomy but I've never succeeded to read about it. I found this forum by chance and I really happy to have it.
nzn

Return to Introductions