Hello from New Jersey!

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Hello from New Jersey!

Postby Caitie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 am

Hi all,
I am a retired astronomy teacher (high school and college levels, including operating the planetarium of the university I worked for) and a lifetime astronomy buff. I am hoping to see the total solar eclipse visible across much of the USA on August 21, something I have waited my entire life to see. I'm flying to friends in Rapid City, SD and we're driving south to Nebraska and putting ourselves in the town of Alliance, which is in the center of the moon's shadow. All we need now is for the usually sunny, hot weather of the Great Plains in summer to give us a clear view and we'll have 2.5 minutes of totality, a 'bucket list" experience that I've waited 60 years to see.
On a different issue, I just bought a new Celestron telescope, a big upgrade on my former telescope, and I've noticed confusion on how this brand is pronounced elsewhere in the forum. I called Celestron's service number to be certain, and I can tell you with confidence that (based on the word 'celestial'), Celestron is prounounced sell-LESS-tron, soft 'c' and accent on the second syllable. Also, Americans do NOT say "sellers-tron". We don't put an 'r' anywhere except in the final syllable, I promise you! ;)
I'm looking forward to participating here and learning from you and perhaps helping others. I can't claim advanced degrees in astronomy, only some undergrad classes, but I taught astronomy for 22 years and I learned a great deal from that. I do have advanced science degrees, but they are in the medical field. I hold a Master's Degree and a PhD in human physiology and cardiology respectively, but the beauty of the sky at night grabbed me when I was a very young girl sitting with my dad as he pointed out some of the biggest constellations from our front porch and I read everything I could find on constellations, stars and other deep sky objects and learned much more as I began to teach astronomy. I think when you try teaching something to others, you learn a great deal more than you do when you just read about it. At any rate, I'm completely hooked and I've been watching the skies ever since.
I hope to get to know some of you online as we share and learn from each other.
Thanks!
Caitie from NJ, USA.
Caitie

Re: Hello from New Jersey!

Postby Aratus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello Catie

All the best for the eclipse. I hope you will get perfect weather for it. Some years ago I visted the USA, and went to South Dakota among other places. I experience the heaviest thunderstorm I've ever seen, after a perfect day at Mount Rushmore. I hope the thunderstorms stay away from you - and the golf ball sized hail! :o

I've always pronounced 'Celestron' Sell-ESS-tron, which doesn't appear to be significantly different from the way you do. Now if you want 2 English speakers from across the Altantic to confuse each other talk about strawberries and aluminium!!! Agree to meet on the first floor of a hotel, and spend the next hour on separate floors looking for each other! :D
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:45 pm

I'd say, Caitie, that with 22 years of teaching astronomy that you'll probably know more than most about the subject on this forum!

Please share your solar eclipse experience with the rest of us less fortunate to be able to be there.

Cheers Dave B.
dave.b

Postby voyager » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Welcome, Caitie!

Hope the sky is clear for you on eclipse day (in 1999 I missed totality due to thick clouds!). I would dearly like to visit the U.S. to have a second chance but my health prevents air travel. If there was demand, I would charter a ship and set sail from Southampton to Brooklyn. :)

Regarding Celestron, I can confirm your version, as I have listened to David H. Levy's podcast 'Let's Talk Stars' since 2003 and he has hosted many Celestron dealers all of whom pronounce it that way...

Louise.
voyager

Postby Caitie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Thank you all for your lovely welcoming messages. I'll share my eclipse adventure with you. I'm hoping for the sunny weather known on the Great Plains in the summer to hold true for us in August!
Caitie
Caitie

Postby Caitie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:11 pm

PS: On the subject of pronunciation, I understand. I know that we number floors differently (our ground floor and first floor are the same thing, yours are different so your first floor is our second floor, etc) and that you have an extra 'i' in aluminum (aluminium) that we don't use, making the pronunciation different. I'm not sure about strawberries, though. Are they not the same? Just curious; I know this has nothing to do with astronomy!
Caitie
Caitie

Postby Aratus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:12 pm

My daughter, 9 year old at the time, was asked by a very nice waitress what flavour icecream she wanted and my daughter said 'Strawb'ree' which we tend to do in our part of the UK. The waitress asked her to repeat it 3 times without understanding. In the end we had to point to the word on the menu. 'Oh Straw-berry' she said. My daughter also got a suprise when she asked for a 'Lemonade' on another occasion . . . :D

I'm sure we can pursue other subjects on this part of the forum at least. ;)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Introductions