My first attempt at Saturn this year.

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

My first attempt at Saturn this year.

Postby andrewscomputers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi all I managed to get an image last night for the first time this year.
Thanks for looking
Andy
Attachments
saturn2.jpg
modified
saturn2.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 159 times
saturn1.jpg
saturn1.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 159 times
andrewscomputers

Re: My first attempt at Saturn this year.

Postby Aratus » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Saturn is badly placed this year, being so low down, and will remain so for another 7 years, or so. It's a shame, because the rings are nicely open. By the time it is higher in the sky, the rings will have tilted away from us. In the year 2030, when it will once again be high in the sky, with the rings open seems a long way away . . .

Plenty of time to practice!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, currently housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a Canon DSLR for imaging. I still occasionally use my original 40mm refractor, 47 years after I first started observing.
Aratus

Re: My first attempt at Saturn this year.

Postby andrewscomputers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Aratus wrote:Saturn is badly placed this year, being so low down, and will remain so for another 7 years, or so. It's a shame, because the rings are nicely open. By the time it is higher in the sky, the rings will have tilted away from us. In the year 2030, when it will once again be high in the sky, with the rings open seems a long way away . . .

Plenty of time to practice!

Hi Aratus thanks for the reply I will give another go and see if I can get a better image as I can see it every night in the south without obstruction.
Thanks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches