My first DSO attempts

My first DSO attempts

Postby tich » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:21 am

Finally after over 2 months of my telescope & shiney new stuff gathering dust I finally managed to get it set up in the garden Sunday night for a quick session. I did a quick polar & two star alignment & then I was off looking around the night sky. Even a resident hedgehog was snuffling under the hedge nearby, either that or my NEQ6 had caught a cold..

Anyway I looked at M51 but I wasn't seeing anything so I slewed around to M13 & it was looking great through the 17mm Hyperion so I quickly attatched the Hyperion Zoom & tried it at various different magnifications & I was impressed.

After gazing away for a few minutes I thought hmmm should I attatch the DSLR? I quickly nipped indoors & set up the camera for 30 second exposures at ISO 800. I focused it as best as I could using the eyepiece on the camera as I didn't bother dragging the laptop out due to work in the morning & started snapping away. All pictures are unguided single frames & not stacked or processed as I've still got to learn about all this lights dark flats malarky.

After taking a few shots I then slewed around to M57 & peered throught the eyepiece. I'm not sure if i was managing to see colour in the ring nebula or if it was my eye's playing tricks on me but it was looking great so again I fitted the camera to the focuser & snapped away a few shots.

M51 never turned out great but I need my set up to be guiding so I can take some longer exposures.

I know they aren't the greatest images but it was nice to be outside at last.
Skywatcher ST80, 200P & 250P Celestron C6 & C80ED, NEQ6 Pro, EQ5. Standard Canon 1000D & Modded Canon 1000D, Philips SPC 880, QHY5L-II Planetary/Guide Camera.
tich

Re: My first DSO attempts

Postby andrewt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 pm

A very old post brought back to life.

He is using a tracking mount - NEQ6 pro
Is he telling us that tracking using the NEQ6 is not good enough?

Do we NEED to add guiding to improve the accuracy of the tracking, so that the image stays sharp on the imaging plane?
andrewt

Re: My first DSO attempts

Postby Aratus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:15 pm

I can't speak for the OP, because only he knows what he meant.

In general terms tracking with an equatorial mount is only as good as its initial alignment. Even then its ability to remain fixed on to a particular part of the sky is dependant on the stability of the base, the accuracy of the motor and gearing etc. Even if you have a permanant mounting the image can drift back and forth slightly, ruining your long exposure. Periodic error correction doesn't always eliminate that. For many, a guide-scope is the quickest solution to the problem. Keep a nearby star in the centre of the field of view of your guide-scope, and the main telescope should also remain fixed on the object you are imaging.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Astro imaging