Places for stargazing

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Places for stargazing

Postby balakm279 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 pm

Living in London has its perks but also the downside when I try to use my telescope with too much orange glow around. I live close to Greenwich Park and was wondering if there are good high locations with minimal light pollution nearby? I do not own a car so will have to hitch a ride with a friend or use a rental so would love to know a few good spots around if anyone is aware.
balakm279

Re: Places for stargazing

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:02 am

You seem to be lucky in that you have an Astronomy Society almost on your doorstep.
The Flamsteed Astronomy Society hold their meetings either at the Royal Observatory or at the National Maritime Museum, so you can meet up with fellow amateurs; and they also have observing sessions - their next one is at Blackheath on 20th or 21st October
In my experience, Astro Societies are great for getting together to share ideas, info and often equipment with other enthusiasts.

Club details here http://flamsteed.info/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:25 pm

Yes, you need some local experience for that sort of location. An astronomy club would know the best places. You may be limited to finding an area without too much local light pollution, so a park or beach/marsh etc. I doubt if you can escape the general light pollution associated with a city without a fair amount of travelling but the AS might run a bus out to a better place.. Good luck with it.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 pm

... or you could get a light pollution reduction filter.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby david48 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 pm

The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof wrote:... or you could get a light pollution reduction filter.

When you say, "light pollution reduction filter", how does it work?
david48

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:18 am

david48 wrote:
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof wrote:... or you could get a light pollution reduction filter.

When you say, "light pollution reduction filter", how does it work?

In general they aim to filter out the wavelengths associated with street lighting, so they'll reduce the skyglow from Sodium and Mercury lighting.

How well they do this is open to question.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

A very good question now-a-days. Like any other filter they reduce the light coming into the eye/camera. What they try to do is to filter out more light from the sky than from the object you are looking at. Therefore the contrast should be better. They are still worth having, but the 'golden age' of light pollution from mostly orange sodium lights, which was easy to filter out, is now coming to an end. They are being replaced with white LEDs which cannot be selectively filtered out. The only 'silver lining', is that newer lights tend to be better designed with less light pointing upwards.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

I once found that M101, a galaxy in Ursa Major, appeared 3 times larger with an LPR filter than without. It needed the LPR filter to bring out the outer regions.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question