What the LT prefix signifies on some Celestron telescopes

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

What the LT prefix signifies on some Celestron telescopes

Postby mikewakefielduk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Hello
I'm wondering what the difference is between a Celestron LT 76AZ and a Celestron 76EQ other than the different mounts? I've noticed that Celestron telescopes with an LT prefix seem to command a slightly higher selling price. The Celestron web site isn't any help.

Mike Wakefield
mikewakefielduk

Re: What the LT prefix signifies on some Celestron telescope

Postby Aratus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:01 pm

Certainly all the LT telescopes are AZ tripods with photographic type 'twist and lock' handles - even the Newtonian. The only thing that seems to feature specifically is a possibly different (better?) lens/mirror coating. I say 'possibly' because all the telescopes seem to have some kind of coating, but the LT specifies aluminum and SiO2 coatings whereas the previous Astromaster just mentions a 'coating'. Perhaps it is just a cynical way of raising the price of basically the same telescope. :?
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Re: What the LT prefix signifies on some Celestron telescope

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am

Other than the coating, there's a slight difference in field of view between the two OTAs, with the LT having appx 17% wider than the non LT.
As for other differences, the only other scope that has a LT and a non LT version is the 70AZ, and for this, the LT is f/10, whereas the non LT is f/12.8. - interestingly, the non LT version is sold 'both terrestrial and celestial viewing', where the LT is for celestial only
I never claim to understand how brands are differentiated.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question