Goto Mount For Use In Singapore

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Goto Mount For Use In Singapore

Postby star watcher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi guys! Can anyone tell me which goto mounts will work in Singapore? It's latitude is only 1.35 N and is beyond the range of the NEQ6(as far as I can see). Is there a similar mount that will operate there or can the NEQ6 be adapted?

All help appreciated, thanks!
star watcher

Re: Goto Mount For Use In Singapore

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 pm

If you just want GOTO and aren't interested in Astrophotography, you would be OK to use an AltAz mount.
As you say, the NEQ6 has a minimum latitude (5 degrees, according to the user manual), but I have heard that people have set it on a pier with a 5 degree tilted head. The pier means that the counterweight doesn't foul the tripod legs, and the tilted head allows for the axis to be correctly aligned to the pole.

I've seen a comment that Mach-1 mounts can be used at the equator on a pier, but I would recommend you check with the manufacturers first, whichever brand you go for.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby star watcher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Thanks Gfamily2! It is required for astrophotography, is there a manufactured pier available to buy?
star watcher

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:46 pm

star watcher wrote:Thanks Gfamily2! It is required for astrophotography, is there a manufactured pier available to buy?

I'm sure there will be several, and I'm sure there are Equatorial mount manufacturers whose products can be set to zero latitude. However, it's not something I have specific details for.

I suggest you try either Cloudy Nights or AstronomyForum, as they have a more generally worldwide membership.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question