Basic equipment for astrophotography

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Basic equipment for astrophotography

Postby alggomas » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 pm

I am completely new to astronomy.
I have an opportunity to buy a new Celesteron 102 slt.
For £300. I do not want to spend a lot as it may be a temporary craving.
I have Eos film and Canon digital cameras.
I also have a Canon T ring.
Would the above 'scope be suitable and would a 2x Barlow be a good choice and do I need to buy another T ring for this?
I have also read I need another longer " bar" to balance the weight of my camera.
I am 65 years old so the above scope seems good for my abilities after reading favourable reviews.
Thank you for any advice.
alggomas

Re: Basic equipment for astrophotography

Postby Aratus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm

A Celestron 102 SLT has an alt-azimuth mount. Taking photos of planets, the moon and bright 'deep sky objects' will be possible. An dim object will require more exposure time which can produce problems. Alt-azimuths do rotate when following an object spoiling the image if using a very long exposure.

For prime focus images, you will require an adapter which attaches to your camera on one side and has a 1.25" 'nose' on the other to slot in the place of the eyepiece. It is possible to 'project' an image from the eyepiece but I've never done that.
Barlows are good for getting a more magnified image, but the image will be dimmer. They just slot in between telescope and camera/eyepiece
Counter weights can help the mechanism, but extra weight on the gears can bring about its own problem. Use the lightest camera you can. Consider using a 'web-cam' or a dedicated imager which are much lighter.

Have fun!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:06 pm

The Celestron 102SLT was my first scope and served me well until I decided to spend more money on my hobby. I did use a long dovetail to adjust it's attachment point to mount to achieve balance. I used tube rings from OVL and that allowed the long dovetail to sit above the short one that is screwed to the telescopes body. You need to consider the cost of these accessories.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 pm

I did consider mentioning the possibility of sliding the tube along to re-balance, but all the illustrations I came across didn't seem to show a dovetail. You came across an ingenious solution!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:08 pm

There's loads to snap with a DSLR even without a telescope:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/Phi ... ingst.html
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice