New Scope

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: New Scope

Postby Aratus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:23 pm

A £400 telescope is certainly not a cheap telescope for most people. It is a heavy investment in an instrument which hopefully with learning and enthusiasm will provide years of interesting observing. It is not 'cheap' in its manufacture either. It is a well made telescope.

I think, Eizo, that you are rather looking at things from one end of the spectrum here, which is currently your own end. People normally need to start small, and if the bug bites and their budget allows, work up to larger telescopes. A 60cm refractor, or if one has the money, a 4" SCT is a good way to start. There are other options like Dobsonians, or even powerful binoculars. No one needs to be disappointed in their eventual choice as long as they know what they are getting, and they are helped to use their choice to get the maximum benefit. If people post here, that is the sort of thing that we can all help with.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby EIZO » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:14 pm

if you don't want me to reply to you dont comment on my comment
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby dave.b » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:22 am

Ian and his team at RVO will be able to provide good sound advice.
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 am

EIZO wrote:if you don't want me to reply to you dont comment on my comment

I don't think anyone is objecting to you or anyone else replying or commenting. Its just that some of your comments are such that they are provoking more comments than the original question did. That's ok by me. It would be nice to have more discussions on this forum, but I guess the OP might be disappointed if it means their question didn't get the full discussion they hoped it would.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Aratus wrote:If you want a 'goto' for £400 then you will spend a big proportion of your money on the 'goto' part relative to the actual telescope. However, it does reduce all that messing about trying to find objects. Its a thing you have to weigh up before buying.

The Celestron Nexstar 4SE springs to mind.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-4se.html

or the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

There would be no harm in going to a proper astronomy shop and taking a look at the options.

I agree and don't have a GOTO 'scope as I'd rather spent on optics. I'm not sure about messing about finding things because, unless you have a GPS mount, you have to go through polar alignment before you can start finding things.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question