Orion Nebula - multiple exposures.

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Orion Nebula - multiple exposures.

Postby Aratus » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:13 pm

One of the biggest problems with the Orion Nebula is the very bright centre, and very dim periphery. A single exposure exposing the tenuous whispy exterior means grossly over exposing the trapezium and the neblousity around it. A good friend of mine, Chris from Alabama, USA, explained to me how some people have taken different exposure times and then nested the shorter exposures inside the over exposed parts of the longer exposures.
So on the 16th Dec in temps of -2'C, I took a series of 4 sets of exposures of the Orion Nebula. 40sec, 12 sec, 4sec, 1sec. It took a while to tune the tracking and get the focusing right. It took well over an hour to take the 60 images required. Fortunately I was able to nip inside every so often and warm my feet, and let the computer take the images automatically. The result was an exposed image from the bright trapezium in the centre right out to the tenuous whisps of nebula towards the edge.

I used the ZWO camera with a light pollution filter, and f6.3 focal reducer gave me the widest field. The Orion nebula doesn't stop here, but goes well beyond my field of view.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Orion Nebula - multiple exposures.

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I can see why you're pleased with that result. Nice work
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Thank you. It is interesting to see a large area of the nebula. If I get a chance I would like to also image the area due north of the centre including M43. The bright centre is still where a lot of the interest lies though, and any telescope can show that.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi Aratus I like the details of the image and colour.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches