Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso Telescope HELP!

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso Telescope HELP!

Postby Lesroy78 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 am

Hi to all,
I am new to the world of telescopes. I have just purchased the Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso Telescope (actually my daughters Christmas present, but sure she will share!). Had a couple of hours playing time so far. Currently just trying to observe the moon and getting used to the scope. The images I am getting at the moment seem very fuzzy (even compared to the naked eye). 10mm and 25mm lens the same. I have currently only been able to use in an urban setting (back garden). I am looking for any tips/help/links please.
My daughter is 5 and is keen on the solar system and planets and do not want my lack of knowledge on using the telescope to put her off.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Lesroy78

Re: Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso Telescope HELP!

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:20 am

Lesroy78 wrote:Hi to all,
I am new to the world of telescopes. I have just purchased the Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso Telescope (actually my daughters Christmas present, but sure she will share!). Had a couple of hours playing time so far. Currently just trying to observe the moon and getting used to the scope. The images I am getting at the moment seem very fuzzy (even compared to the naked eye). 10mm and 25mm lens the same. I have currently only been able to use in an urban setting (back garden). I am looking for any tips/help/links please.
My daughter is 5 and is keen on the solar system and planets and do not want my lack of knowledge on using the telescope to put her off.

I'm surprised by this, as the type of scope (known as a Maksutov) is normally very good at keeping in proper alignment.
Have you tried the scope during the day on distant objects - are you satisfied that it's basically working OK?
For example, when you adjusted the focus, using the knob next to the eyepiece, did you get a change in the quality of the view? If not, the focuser may have become detached (unlikely, but possible).
If it's got a serious problem, it would be a case of getting a replacement from your supplier.
A possibility, depending on how long the scope had been out, is simply that dew had collected on the front of the scope. A hair dryer can help get rid of dew.

Just a few thoughts, maybe someone else can suggest other
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 am

Like everything it is the problem with the user not the scope, you have to get used to using it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oySbet53cnI

It is a good scope BUT, I would never use it as it comes I would mount it on a STABLE tripod, never a table or anything less than a SOLID platform

Stupid question, you are focussing it aren't you, and have the eyepiece all the way in, remember also this is a very small aperture scope, so don't use too high a magnification

Finally, Planets, the best you will see with this scope is about this for Saturn and Jupiter

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 1883 times

Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm

Lesroy78 wrote:Hi to all,

There should be no problem in achieving a good, sharp focus with this telescope. To sum up, there are only 4 things that might be the problem. Firstly condensation on any glass surface. It shouldn't be a problem when you first take the telescope outside, but eventually dew will form, especially in the humid air we are getting at the moment. Bring it back inside, and use a hair dryer on low setting. Secondly trying to view through a window, or even from indoors generally will give a bad image. You need to be outside. Also, check that no plastic protection is still on the front glass plate. Thirdly, you have not put the telescope together correctly. The 'star diagonal' goes in first (the triangular looking thing) and then the eyepiece. Each part needs to be fully pushed in. Fourthly - you need to use the focus knob to achieve a focus. Rotate the knob until you get a good focus. If you get to the end of the mirror movement you need to turn it back the other way.

Check all these things and come back to us if there is still a problem.

This is an excellent telescope for moon and planets. The only problem at the moment is the lack of planets in the evening sky, but that will change. :D
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Lesroy78 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm

To everyone who has taken the time to respond, we thank you very much. We are continuing to learn on this new subject and appreciate all the help. Will reply when the opportunity to test some things out presents itself . If anyone has any useful links for any info for beginners it would be appreciated . Many thanks L and I
Lesroy78

Postby EIZO » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Links to and for what there are hundreds

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astro ... -beginners
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 pm

There's loads of stuff here, not just on the site but also external links to other useful pages:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

Also, look out for Phil's Scribblings:

http://www.philippughastronomer.com/Phi ... ingst.html
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question