Comet Panstarrs (R2) and Comet Heinze

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Comet Panstarrs (R2) and Comet Heinze

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:45 pm

A 10th magnitude comet is not normally something that I go for, but rumours of a wobbly, disjointed tail seemed too interesting to over-look, so I had a go on 7th Jan. It is located near to Taurus' nose, and wasn't difficult to find. Imaging the faint tail was another matter, but 10 successful 60sec images have just about brought it out.

There is also Comet Heinze, another 10th magnitude which is close enough to the Earth to see actual movement through the telescope. A little more tricky to find amongst the faint stars of Lynx. It was a bit like watching the minute hand of a clock, but movement against the background of stars was noticeable after about 15 seconds. I did take some images, but the 'fast' movement of the comet meant long exposures were out of the question. Here are 8 x 30sec exposures showing the movement of the comet.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Comet Panstarrs (R2) and Comet Heinze

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 pm

I has another go at processing the images I had of Comet Panstarrs. I was able to add a few more frames too. It shows its wonky blue tail a bit clearer. It is a pity it is not a brighter comet.

I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:50 am

Very nice images there. Thanks
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:19 pm

My pleasure.

Panstarrs is visible through even a small telescope as a fuzzy star, but obviously the larger the telescope the better.
More details here
https://theskylive.com/c2016r2-info

Heinze I thought was a dimmer comet. Perhaps it is more diffuse.
More details here.
https://theskylive.com/c2017t1-info
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches