2nd telescope buying advice please Meade LX200 or other

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

2nd telescope buying advice please Meade LX200 or other

Postby imk » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Hello,
I have had a passive interest all my life in astronomy but never owned a telescope.
However, four weeks ago i pulled from neighbors bin a broken 700x76 reflector with missing eyepiece etc.
So i set about fixing it up and got a new £6 ebay 12mm eyepiece, made a laser collimator from bits i had and with some wonderful help i now have a working telescope.

Problem is i have now been bitten by the astronomy bug and every clear evening i am in my garden moon, planet and star gazing and lusting after a better telescope.

So after much research I think my next scope will be a second hand Meade 8" LX90 or LX200 and more likely the LX200 as it is supposed to be better for astrophotography.

So my question is: what other telescopes should i consider that are similar in size, function and quality to the Meade LX200/LX90 that are second hand reasonably priced please?
imk

Re: 2nd telescope buying advice please Meade LX200 or other

Postby EIZO » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Just remember the age of telescopes and older ones do not offer maintenance by the company when the drives fail

How can a question be answered if you don't state how much you can afford.
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby EIZO » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 pm

I have just got this £2600 with accessories

https://www.celestron.com/products/nexs ... -starsense

Also available now on ebay pre owned for £2000 and one for just £1400
Attachments
P1050461.jpg
P1050461.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 pm

I also have an 8" scope on an Alt Az mount and while it's great to use visually in dark sky locations, it's not ideal for astrophotography.
The essential factor for AP is getting very fine accuracy of tracking for long periods of time. Having a long focal length telescope means that even finer accuracy will be needed - and I'm not sure either LX mount would be up to it - certainly you'd need a Wedge to even consider AP of DSOs, and balance could well be an issue.

I would say enjoy the visual delights you can get from the 8" SCT and get something else for imaging. Depending on how committed you are, you can spend a few hundred on a dSLR tracking mount like a Star Adventurer which will easily take images with up to a 200mm lens (and more if you work at it)

However, if you seriously want to get into Astrophotography, I would suggest getting something like an EQ6 mount and an APO refractor - an APO isn't essential, a friend gets amazing results with a 300mm Newtonian on an EQ6 - though he spends every clear sky hour on developing his skills.

If you have a local astronomy society, it'll be worth getting in contact with them, for advice, inspiration and (maybe) loans of equipment
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:19 pm

imk wrote:
So after much research I think my next scope will be a second hand Meade 8" LX90 or LX200 and more likely the LX200 as it is supposed to be better for astrophotography.

When it comes to astrophotography bigger is not always better. Magnifications are better, but width of field is smaller. Long exposures (a minute or more) will capture a lot of light from the object you are looking at, but also more light pollution to ruin the contrast. There is so much you can capture in under a minute, even with an 8 inch, that anything bigger is an expensive (but nice) luxury. Taking multiple exposures and stacking with a sensitive camera yields good result without super large telescopes, and the technology is getting better all the time

Meade, Celeston, Skywatcher etc. are all good telescopes. Try to buy secondhand locally, and view before buying. Good luck!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby EIZO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:I also have an 8" scope on an Alt Az mount and while it's great to use visually in dark sky locations, it's not ideal for astrophotography.
The essential factor for AP is getting very fine accuracy of tracking for long periods of time. Having a long focal length telescope means that even finer accuracy will be needed - and I'm not sure either LX mount would be up to it - certainly you'd need a Wedge to even consider AP of DSOs, and balance could well be an issue.

I would say enjoy the visual delights you can get from the 8" SCT and get something else for imaging. Depending on how committed you are, you can spend a few hundred on a dSLR tracking mount like a Star Adventurer which will easily take images with up to a 200mm lens (and more if you work at it)

However, if you seriously want to get into Astrophotography, I would suggest getting something like an EQ6 mount and an APO refractor - an APO isn't essential, a friend gets amazing results with a 300mm Newtonian on an EQ6 - though he spends every clear sky hour on developing his skills.

If you have a local astronomy society, it'll be worth getting in contact with them, for advice, inspiration and (maybe) loans of equipment

He has not said he is into serious astro photography and looking for second hand

Most scopes can easily be fitted with a wedge later, also you are stating setups costing more than mine and they are talking about a pre owned scope at £600 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would join a club before buying anything
EIZO

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm OK with most replies but consider this: I get about 12-15 clear, dark evenings per year where I live. In the last two years, it has been less than this. Even if there is not complete cloud cover, most nights have a fair degree of thin cloud or haze. Then there is unsteady air to consider. If you have the odd day that you can stay up all night, great but most of us have to get up for work or school the next day.

Not just through lack of budget, I have given up on the idea of getting anything bigger than my 127 Mak. For solar system viewing and brighter deep sky objects, a larger telescope would only give marginally better views. So, using myself as an example, I would only get to use a large telescope about once a month. Also, large telescopes and good mounts are heavy, unless you have a sensible place to mount it permanently. I forget his name but one astrophotographer got fed up with the lack of decent conditions, sold his kit and bought time on a robotic telescope instead.

Before parting with a large sum, please give serious thought to how much use you will actually get from a purchase.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice