What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Revilo95 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.


Many Thanks

Olli
Revilo95
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 am

Revilo95 wrote:Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.


Many Thanks

Olli


A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2616 ... ravel-102/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2
 
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby EIZO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/achrom ... ilter.html

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg
P1050532.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, William Optics Binoviewers, many 2" eyepieces. Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, 14-24, 70-200, Sigma 150-600 Sport, Gitzo tripods
EIZO
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Revilo95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:
Revilo95 wrote:


A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).

Thanks have read that review before. My skies are pretty good maybe 4 or 3 on the bortle scale. Was thinking about getting it on a az5 Mount
Revilo95
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Revilo95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm

EIZO wrote:Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg


Have been looking at those filters people say some of them seem to help. I’m only going to want to see DSO’s as it’s hard to look at planets most of the times, and would want a good widefiled of view and I’ve read that these are good for that but wanted a second opinion
Revilo95
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm


Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest