What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Revilo95 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.

Many Thanks

Olli
Revilo95

Re: What can I expect with a Skywatcher 102 refractor?

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 am

Revilo95 wrote:Hi,

After many months of reading and lots of confusion on what to get for my first scope, I have come down to a few things that I would like from it. Easy to set up and carry, light weight, and can use basically straight away when set up. My main interests are DSO’s galaxies star clusters ect.So after going through many reviews on different scopes I’ve decided that the Star Travel 102 would be my best bet for a beginner like myself. I would like to know how much you can see with the 102 ? keep in mind I’ve never looked through a scope ( only 7x50 binos). I know it has CA but that doesn’t really bother me. I’m also looking to get it on the AZ3 Mount or maybe az5 if I can afford it.

Many Thanks

Olli

A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).
https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2616 ... ravel-102/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/achrom ... ilter.html

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg
P1050532.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Revilo95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:
Revilo95 wrote:

A lot of what you can see will depend on your location, as ever, the darker your skies the better.
Here's a positive review (positive of the scope anyway - less so for the AZ3 mount).

Thanks have read that review before. My skies are pretty good maybe 4 or 3 on the bortle scale. Was thinking about getting it on a az5 Mount
Revilo95

Postby Revilo95 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm

EIZO wrote:Actually the question is strange you can see everything and nothing, it would be better to ask what you can't see, if you can see it with binoculars you can see it with the scope.

Get one of these

Personally I prefer AltAz mounts

P1050532.jpg

Have been looking at those filters people say some of them seem to help. I’m only going to want to see DSO’s as it’s hard to look at planets most of the times, and would want a good widefiled of view and I’ve read that these are good for that but wanted a second opinion
Revilo95

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 am

If you get a nice wide angle eyepiece, such as a 32mm Plossl, it will improve the view of deep sky objects. Assuming a suburban sky, you should be able to see open star clusters down to about mag 9 and faint fuzzies, such as galaxies and globular star clusters, down to about mag 8.

You should get some great views of the Moon and detail on Mars. Jupiter and Saturn are worth checking out. You should be able to see the phases of Mercury and Venus.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

Revilo95 wrote:Hi,

Many Thanks

Olli

I'll try to give an objective answer to the question. A 4" refractor is a great telescope to use. You will be able to see stars down to mag 12.7. So many millions of stars. You will be able to detect most of the 110 Messier deep sky objects, although exactly how many will depend of the light pollution in the area where you are using the telescope. Most times, you should be able to detect at least one comets. A handful of asteroids will be within your grasp. You will be able to split double stars down to 1.2 arc sec, so many hundreds of them. Nice views of the planets (eventually), and many hundreds of lunar features. If you are organised, you could spend decades looking at the night's sky, looking at something different every night with that one telescope.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 pm

If you use a light pollution reduction filter, it will make some of the fainter galaxies look sharper. I bagged all Messier objects with a 127mm Maksutov, although it took 4 years. The Little Dumbbell at mag 10,1 was the hardest. Of course, you can always read the book ...
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby EIZO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 pm

GET the AZ5 it is great
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question