Astrophotography using a Goto mount

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Astrophotography using a Goto mount

Postby corkyzz50 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi, has anyone had any results using a simple goto mount and attaching an slr camera for long exposures?

Thanks
corkyzz50

Re: Astrophotography using a Goto mount

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 am

Hi and welcome;
It certainly can be done, but there are limitations.
With any Alt-Az mount, the main limitation is that the movement of the mount gives a rotation of the field of view, which particularly affects the edges - and when using a standard camera, the effect can be quite apparent.

With a cheap Equatorial mount, you can avoid this, but the quality of the motor drive can mean you get uneven tracking for use with a telescope, but you could probably use a camera this way.
Technically, you don't need full goto, a simple RA tracking motor on an equatorial mount will allow you to take extended exposure images.

A useful technique that helps is called 'stacking'; where you take multiple images using a relatively short exposure (10 - 30s) and use software to combine the images to add the data in each image.
Here's an image of M13 taken this way (though using an 8" scope rather than a camera).

This image was taken using a camera on a lightweight equatorial mount specifically designed for camera use (the Star Adventurer in my Sig)

Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby corkyzz50 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for the answer - I had been looking at the star adventurer as well so I think that's the way to go as it's designed for that purpose - thanks again
corkyzz50

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 am

corkyzz50 wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the answer - I had been looking at the star adventurer as well so I think that's the way to go as it's designed for that purpose - thanks again

If you have a local Astronomy Society, you'll probably find that there will be users of various lightweight tracking mounts. Personally, I love the SA and have no hesitation in recommending it, but if you can find people who have different ones, you'll have more info to help you make your choice.

A good place to find local societies is the goStargazing website.
http://gostargazing.co.uk/events-map/
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:14 pm

The problems with go stargazing are many

1. Lots are charged at £40+ which is more than some can afford
2. They are not always close many being 60+ (120 return) miles for one night and when you get there it could be raining
3. Another matter I took up with them is they suggest dark sites such as car parks, woodlands, GREAT, so go alone to a dark site in a strange car park, not likely. They suggested you "team up" have you tried doing that even clubs have trouble getting people to turn up let alone to a car park.
4. Car park, they forger car parks mean cars mean headlights.
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 pm

To be honest
1 Most aren't
2 If it looks like rain, don't go.
3 I linked to the 'events' page; you might have been thinking of the 'locations' page. But would you rather they suggested well lit locations? :roll:
4 Fair point, except I was suggesting linking up with a society as a useful source of information.

If you want to start a thread about the shortcomings of the Go Stargazing website, feel free.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 am

I said LOTS are
You can't tell what the weather will be like in two hours 60 miles away
SAFE locations it does not take intelligence to work that out
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Return to Introductions