Questions from a BK1309 EQ2 newbie

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Questions from a BK1309 EQ2 newbie

Postby sarumboy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Hello Forum Folk!
Just signed up as I'm a total newbie to astronomy. It took a 76 years birthday present of a BK1309 EQ2 to get me started and already I'm loving it! I spent my working life in engineering so its not too daunting but help with two questions would be appreciated.
In setting up the RDF, I located a distant spire in the 'scope eyepiece with 25mm lens. But there isn't enough lateral movement on the RDF adjusting screw to locate the dot on the spire, its slightly off to one side on max travel and there's no play in the 'shoe' that would help. There doesn't seem to be any course adjustment. Has this come up before?
The other thing, the RIA adjustment knob is very, very stiff so there's no way the clock motor would turn it. Can I do something about that? Thank you for any help.
Regards, sarumboy.
sarumboy

Re: Questions from a BK1309 EQ2 newbie

Postby EIZO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 pm

attach some images

What is a BK whatever, you need to be more specific when asking questions
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 pm

sarumboy wrote:Hello Forum Folk!
Just signed up as I'm a total newbie to astronomy. It took a 76 years birthday present of a BK1309 EQ2 to get me started and already I'm loving it! I spent my working life in engineering so its not too daunting but help with two questions would be appreciated.
In setting up the RDF, I located a distant spire in the 'scope eyepiece with 25mm lens. But there isn't enough lateral movement on the RDF adjusting screw to locate the dot on the spire, its slightly off to one side on max travel and there's no play in the 'shoe' that would help. There doesn't seem to be any course adjustment. Has this come up before?
The other thing, the RIA adjustment knob is very, very stiff so there's no way the clock motor would turn it. Can I do something about that? Thank you for any help.
Regards, sarumboy.

Hi and welcome.
I'm not familiar with the scope you're using, I'm afraid, so can't give any specific advice.
What I would suggest is that you link up with a local Astro Society, particularly if they have observing sessions. I have no doubt that there will be people who will fall over themselves to help you get your scope set up and sort out any issues you have with the RDF and the RA adjuster.
From your name it sounds as though you could well be based in South Wiltshire, so there are a few Astro Societies that may be local - at Fordingbridge, Andover and Sutton Veny.

If you look on the Events map here, you can find locations and dates that may work for you.
http://gostargazing.co.uk/events-map/ I'd suggest you contact the clubs through their websites before you go, just to check on locations and timings.

Don't worry about whether it's clear or not on the night - the astronomers are still likely to be there - and they'll have more time to help you sort out your 'scope if it's cloudy.

All the best
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
Gfamily2

Postby EIZO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I did post but it didn't go up.

First if it is the RDF I think get a decent one the skywatcher one is terrible,

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/ast ... inderscope

Second, clear off all ther grease from the drive and use decent grease not the rubbish skywatcher used, do the focusser as well

The "electric" drive (clock ???) will not turn if the gears are too stiff with grease
Celestron Edge 8" Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, Sky Tee2, WO Binoviewers, 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, ZWO ASI 178MM camera, Neximage 5, Nikon D4s, D810, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8, Nikkor 14-24, Nikkor 70-200, Nikkor 24-120, Sigma 150-600 Sport
EIZO

Postby sarumboy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:34 pm

Sorry Guys, I thought the model number would be sufficient. It's a Skywatcher BK1309EQ2 reflector type 130mm dia, 900mm f/length. But I guess you'd need to be familiar with the model to be able to answer my queries anyway. But thank you for the replies. I used the word 'clock' because that's what it's referred to in the packaging.
Sarumboy
sarumboy

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:10 pm

As far as deep sky goes, it is about the same as my 127mm Maksutov but my "Mak" should outscore it on the solar system.

I never liked the RDF and found a 9x50 right angle finder much better.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby EIZO » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:35 pm

sarumboy wrote:Sorry Guys, I thought the model number would be sufficient. It's a Skywatcher BK1309EQ2 reflector type 130mm dia, 900mm f/length. But I guess you'd need to be familiar with the model to be able to answer my queries anyway. But thank you for the replies. I used the word 'clock' because that's what it's referred to in the packaging.
Sarumboy

Have you any idea how many thousands of combinations of scopes there are which is why a "make" and model are needed. :)

Most people will know the semi and pro scopes but (no disrespect) there are countless starter scopeshat have just numbers and hundreds of makes we can't guess them all. :(

Welcome
EIZO

Postby Aratus » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:38 pm

sarumboy wrote:In setting up the RDF, I located a distant spire in the 'scope eyepiece with 25mm lens. But there isn't enough lateral movement on the RDF adjusting screw to locate the dot on the spire, its slightly off to one side on max travel and there's no play in the 'shoe' that would help. There doesn't seem to be any course adjustment. Has this come up before?

A couple of things that should be obvious, but only if you know what you are doing!
The sight tube goes in front, not located nearest to your eye
You use the adjusting knobs, not the holding screws to align it. The one at the side, nearest the sight tube is the one for 'left right'. The 'up-down' one is underneath at the back.
Make sure that the 'shoe' is attached correctly to the tube.

If you are still having problems, there is something more serious going on.

Red dot finders are very useful in some circumstances, and sighting scopes in others. I have both and use whichever one is best at the time.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:28 pm

EIZO wrote:
sarumboy wrote:Sorry Guys, I thought the model number would be sufficient. It's a Skywatcher BK1309EQ2 reflector type 130mm dia, 900mm f/length. But I guess you'd need to be familiar with the model to be able to answer my queries anyway. But thank you for the replies. I used the word 'clock' because that's what it's referred to in the packaging.
Sarumboy

Have you any idea how many thousands of combinations of scopes there are which is why a "make" and model are needed. :)

Most people will know the semi and pro scopes but (no disrespect) there are countless starter scopeshat have just numbers and hundreds of makes we can't guess them all. :(

Welcome

Fortunately, some of the lesser-known models come up on Google. Most of us can speculate on what one can see from the aperture and type of telescope. Of course, one can always find out more by buying books from a notorious member of this messageboard!
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-2015.html
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question