Beginner needs a new finderscope

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Beginner needs a new finderscope

Postby byrnen30 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:13 am

Hello,

I'm very new to starwatching, and in trying to align my finderscope I've already wrecked it! I found it really difficult to adjust the screws to align it, and I ended up ruining the thread of one of the screws from screwing it too tightly. I need to get a replacement - does anyone have any advice for a beginner?

I've read a few comments online that right angled finderscopes are difficult to use - does anyone have any comments on this? Should I try a telrad, or would it be difficult for a beginner? I found the finderscope that came with my scope really difficult to align (hence the wrecking) - any suggestions for something easier to use?

For info, i'm using a celestron 127eq reflector telescope. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
byrnen30

Re: Beginner needs a new finderscope

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi and welcome.
Have you stripped the thread of the adjustment bolt, or of the mount itself? If the bolt, you can get a replacement bolt from places like Wilkinson's.
If it's the thread on the mount that's stripped, you could use a tap and die cutter set to re-cut the next size up thread, and get a bolt to match.
Alternatively, you could try aralditing a nut over the hole, and using thats thread to hold the screw in place.

Though if you're finding aligning difficult, it could be that the rubber ring is in the wrong place.

I have a right angle finder which is fine, though you can't simply use it to 'sight along' to get close to a reference star. What I've done is to put two cable ties around it with the 'blocks' lined up, and I can use those as 'lining up' markers for the initial position.

People's preferences vary, for everyone who loves a telrad there's another who can't get on with them, ditto for
Straight through finders
Right angle finders
RACI finders
Red dot finders.
:)
Personally, I got my Right Angle finder because wearing spectacles made using the RDF tricky for high altitude targets, but I now use my RDF on my camera hot shoe for setting up my 200mm shots with the Star Adventurer. It also helps that a RA finder gives the same view as a Cat scope.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby byrnen30 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:51 am

Thank you so much, this is really helpful.

It's the mount of the finderscope itself where I've ruined the thread.I think the rubber ring probably is in the wrong place, I didn't realise. I'll have another try!
byrnen30

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:40 pm

byrnen30 wrote:Thank you so much, this is really helpful.

It's the mount of the finderscope itself where I've ruined the thread.I think the rubber ring probably is in the wrong place, I didn't realise. I'll have another try!

Let us know how you get on.

You can often get cheap finder scope mounts at Astroboot.
I've not used them myself, so can't give a personal recommendation, but I've not heard any complaints.
http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Right angle finderscopes are great for those of us with bad backs. I have a Skywatcher 9x50 one and it is very good. I have problems aligning finderscopes. I found it particularly useful when researching the Messier objects.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice