New scope opinions..

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

New scope opinions..

Postby brickman7 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 am

I'm an "old" newbie looking to buy a low price starter. I fell in love with a newton but after all I read about the adjustments and the frailty of the design, I've turned to shopping refractors. I've never even looked through a scope before besides my riflescopes and I want to be able to use the thing, not work on it! Ok, to the scope..a Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ. At $100, that's not much....Question is, will this thing work at all. I've ordered the eyepieces I want ( aren't they the most important part of a set-up? ) After I learn the basics, I will invest in a better scope, a newton...I like that design, but not yet.
Thanks!!
brickman7

Re: New scope opinions..

Postby Aratus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm

The Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ is really a terrestrial telescope rather than an purpose built astronomical telescope. The obvious advantage is that you can use it to see ships etc as well as objects in the sky. The disadvantage is that all those extra lenses which give a 'right side up' image also give a dimmer image in the night sky. This is a basic 3" refractor. It seems to come with a 20mm eyepiece which will give a fairly wide field view. Using the 3x barlow with it will push the magnification beyond usability. It also comes with a 4mm eyepiece which is useless on such a small telescope. In fact to advertise the magnification of that eyepiece in the UK would be illegal. There are better telescopes than this one, even for $100.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby brickman7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 am

I'm 60
Re: New scope opinions....Aratus, I see what you were saying...OK...what about the Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ? For $179.00, I can buy that scope and a Solomark Collimation Eyepiece . I'm 60 years old computer tech and I was diagnosed with bipolar syndrome, lost my job and since then I've had three
back surgeries and I live on disability. Money is tight but I have been saving . What about that scope? I plan
on buying with my check on 3rd of August. With my background, I know I can set this up....I worked on my own for 40 years, and I know when to ask for help. Can anyone give me their opinion?

Also, I am interested in viewing the moon mainly. To me, photos of mars, saturn, jupiter and the like are enough for me. There are other things in space that I intended on scanning for. Years from now I'll save and by the scope for all those things but for now the moon is my goal. Those things between the moon and earth I want to look for.
brickman7

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 pm

I don't know much about the Celestron Powerseekers. If the Skywatcher range are good value in the USA, they might be better. I have a Startravel 80 and Skymax 127.You can "snap" the moon using a compact digital camera held at the eyepiece, although a DSLR is better.

There is a cheap book on Kindle that might help: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippug ... ed-public/

You don't need a Kindle to read it, you can download a Kiondle app for free on most laptops and tablets.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 pm

In response to the OP . . .

There is nothing wrong with a 3" refractor - but it will give best results if it is for purely astronomical purposes, and has a sensible range of eyepieces. Given our ages I think larger focal length eyepieces with barlows would be better!
Something like a Sky-Watcher Evostar 90 perhaps.
Eyepieces Supplied 10mm & 25mm which will give 90x and 25x. The supplied 2x barlow will give 180 and 50x respectively. Buying an additional 12mm eyepiece would give you 75x on its own, and 150x with the barlow, and altogether will give a good range of magnifications

Celestron Powerseeker 127EQ
The 20mm eyepiece will give 50x mag. With the 3x barlow that will give 150x mag. That is well within the range for a 5 inch telescope. (200x max for most conditions) Buying a separate 10 mm eyepiece will give 100x. If you also bought a x2 barlow you will have 200x. So with a 10mm and 20mm eyepiece, and a 2x and a 3x barlow you will have a full range of magnifications. (The supplied 4mm will be useless for older eyes, so sell it to a youngster on ebay!)

Naturally the 5" reflector will give a brighter image than the 3.5" refractor. Just bear in mind that a refractor needs no adjustments whereas a Newtonian reflector will occasionally require adjusting (collimation) for best results. Some people find that annoying.

With either of these telescopes there is a huge range of objects to be seen.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby brickman7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 am

Thanks to all of you that responded.....I think I've made my choice ...The Powerseeker 127Eq
brickman7

Postby Aratus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Go for it! :D Enjoy it! :D Tell us how you get on.
Aratus

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question