Cannot see the telescope slewed object.

A place to talk about the magazine's vodcast

Cannot see the telescope slewed object.

Postby stevenboon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:50 am

I am a new comer to the forum.
I own a Celestron advanced vx 8 telescope with German Equatorial mount. The equipment is equipped with Celestron Skyportal skyQ link software. The observing is done by pinpointing an sky object in the software planetarium and the telescope slewed to the selected object which is shown as a the blue cross button.The telescope is right on the object but I cannot see anything through my eyepiece. Is anyone could help and advise what I had done wrong here .

Thank you. Note: the observing sensing is done at dusk , the sky is not completely dark but the software allowed the telescope slew to the target which means the object is reachable by the scope.

Thank you very much for the help.

Steven
stevenboon

Re: Cannot see the telescope slewed object.

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:55 am

stevenboon wrote:I am a new comer to the forum.
I own a Celestron advanced vx 8 telescope with German Equatorial mount. The equipment is equipped with Celestron Skyportal skyQ link software. The observing is done by pinpointing an sky object in the software planetarium and the telescope slewed to the selected object which is shown as a the blue cross button.The telescope is right on the object but I cannot see anything through my eyepiece. Is anyone could help and advise what I had done wrong here .

Thank you. Note: the observing sensing is done at dusk , the sky is not completely dark but the software allowed the telescope slew to the target which means the object is reachable by the scope.

Thank you very much for the help.

Steven

Hi and welcome Steven

The telescope doesn't 'see' the target, it just moves itself to where it 'thinks' it should be (based on the prior alignment) and the blue cross on the screen is based on that.

I'd start by aligning and then confirming by using an obvious target such as the Moon or Jupiter. You'll be able to check the quality of the alignment from the direction the scope is pointing, and you can then confirm that you've got the optical path right to allow you to get focus on something bright and relatively easy to confirm in the Finderscope / Red Dot.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

stevenboon wrote: the observing sensing is done at dusk , the sky is not completely dark but the software allowed the telescope slew to the target which means the object is reachable by the scope.

I think it is more likely that the sensor incorrectly aligned itself due to the lack of stars in a dark blue summer sky. Try it when the sky is darker. Alternatively align the telescope using another method.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby stevenboon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Thank you for the useful advices. I will try when the sky is dark and I can see the bright moon to confirm my alignment is correct. Thank you for your advices

Steven
stevenboon

Return to Sky At Night vodcast