Heads-up for an ISS / Dragon Craft passage

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Heads-up for an ISS / Dragon Craft passage

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Timings and location given are specific to NW England, but later in time if further East, and higher in the sky if further South.

I'm not sure how visible this will be, but tomorrow evening, we should see a passage of the ISS from about 21:52 - starting above Venus, and taking about 6 minutes to travel low from West to East until it disappears above Mars.

All very usual.

However - earlier in the day, the Dragon Cargo craft will have been released from the ISS for its soft landing return to Earth. I've no idea how visible it will be, but if you have a pair of binoculars, you may be able to see the two travelling in tandem. Of course, they may be too close together to separate, but it's got to be worth a peek.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Heads-up for an ISS / Dragon Craft passage

Postby Graeme1858 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 pm

That's certainly worth a look. Separation is 17:37BST and it takes 6 hours to get home. Dunno how long they fly in close proximity. Have you had any success with this before?

I once saw a flyover whilst out with my dob and managed to swing it round to get the thing in my eye piece! It was a bit of a wow moment!
Graeme1858

Postby Aratus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm

I tried to see the Dragon as it was approaching the ISS a few days ago, but I could only see the ISS with the unassisted eye. The ISS orbit is becoming unfavourable now, and increasingly low in the sky, but at least one pass will be visible from the UK each night - the last one (for now) being on Saturday.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Graeme1858 wrote:That's certainly worth a look. Separation is 17:37BST and it takes 6 hours to get home. Dunno how long they fly in close proximity. Have you had any success with this before?

I once saw a flyover whilst out with my dob and managed to swing it round to get the thing in my eye piece! It was a bit of a wow moment!

Not seen with a Dragon, but my wife and I saw the ISS orbiting in tandem with the Space Shuttle Aquarius after they had separated after the very last Shuttle mission.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:Not seen with a Dragon, but my wife and I saw the ISS orbiting in tandem with the Space Shuttle Aquarius after they had separated after the very last Shuttle mission.

Cool!
Graeme1858

Postby Aratus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:Not seen with a Dragon, but my wife and I saw the ISS orbiting in tandem with the Space Shuttle Aquarius after they had separated after the very last Shuttle mission.

The Space Shuttle was a nice bright object when seen from the ground. It was good fun watching it catch up on the ISS, getting near and nearer at each pass.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Astro Alerts