Sun- Moon anomaly

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Sun- Moon anomaly

Postby Jackamus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:49 pm

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this anomaly and most of the solutions suggest its an illusion. This is based on the fact that I was using a photograph and that various factors need to be taken into account e.g. lens distortion, cylindrical projection etc. I ony used the photo to visually convey what I had observed.
I could easily have drawn on a blackboard what I observed and taken a photo of it thus doing away with optical distortions/illusions etc.
I take the view that the sun and the moon are just two large balls in 3 dimensional space and I created the drawing shown below the photo. The drawing is virtually the same model only using a torch and a ball.
Both models demonstrate that a straight perpendicular line between both objects can be drawn except you cannot do this, using the observed (not photographic) positions, of the sun and the Moon. Why is this?
Jackamus

Re: Sun- Moon anomaly

Postby Jackamus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:52 pm

My image file didn't appear to upload. How do I do this?
Jackamus

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Jackamus wrote:My image file didn't appear to upload. How do I do this?

Hi and welcome.
With regard to your problem, pick any of these:
    As a new user there are restrictions in what you can do in your posts.
    Your image size was too big
    We have had problems with the space on the server that prevents us uploading images
I can't be sure what applies in your case
You could upload the image elsewhere on the internet (for example to a 'Public' album on Google Photos or a 'Public' posting on Facebook) and copy the 'image link url' between the [[img][[/img] tags to display the image.
Hope this helps
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome to the forum Jackamus. I'm new here myself!

Can you save your drawing as a jpg and try and just upload that without the image so we can see what you're getting at?

Regards

Graeme

Postby Jackamus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Because I am a new user my reply will not accept the URL because it looks 'spammy'. What do I do?
Jackamus

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Jackamus wrote:Because I am a new user my reply will not accept the URL because it looks 'spammy'. What do I do?

Does it allow you to PM it to me? I'll post it for you - though that depends on my internet connection as I'm off to Solarsphere in the next hour or so.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:41 am

Jackamus wrote:Because I am a new user my reply will not accept the URL because it looks 'spammy'. What do I do?

We got spammed by some idiot a couple of days ago!

Are you trying to attach an image from your pc using the upload an attachment tab below the post a reply box or trying to post an image using IMG code from a web site?

Hope you can sort it, I'm intrigued by your Moon anomaly question!!! :)

Postby Jackamus » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:12 am

I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond but I was expecting any replies to be emailed to me automatically. Is this possible?
I tried once again to add a Dropbox URL to my drawing but it is considered 'Spammy'. How do I upload a jpeg?
It was suggested that I upload an image to a public site. Dropbox is a very public and accepted large file archive. But it still doesn't work for me. Can't the moderators allow Dropbox?
Jackamus

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:20 am

Jackamus wrote:I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond but I was expecting any replies to be emailed to me automatically. Is this possible?
I tried once again to add a Dropbox URL to my drawing but it is considered 'Spammy'. How do I upload a jpeg?
It was suggested that I upload an image to a public site. Dropbox is a very public and accepted large file archive. But it still doesn't work for me. Can't the moderators allow Dropbox?

I've sent you a PM - click where it says (1 new messages) above. - If you can send me the url, I'll see if I can attach it to a response on your behalf.

If the PM also doesn't allow you to send a url break it up with gaps instead of '.'s and I'll reassemble it
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 pm

The OP has asked the question on the AstronomyShed site, but this is the image he was trying to post.
I've re-sized it to make it loadable
Jackamus image.jpg
Jackamus image.jpg (180.89 KiB) Viewed 711 times

The 'anomaly' seems to be that the apparent position of the Sun is not consistent with the position and angle of the terminator on the Moon.

Without seeing the original photo the OP says was the source of the question it's hard to say; but personally I'd put it down to the fact that a wide angle photo has problems representing large angles on a flat plane image.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Next

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question