12V hair dryer

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

12V hair dryer

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:11 pm

I've not tried it out yet, but after a dew-laden evening curtailed our telescope observing on Friday evening, I've just bought a 12V 'travel' hair dryer from The Range - just £12.

From first impressions it's not going to be any use for its advertised purpose; but it can put out a low speed moderately warm flow of air, or a barely warm blast, which may prove effective.

I notice that the same dryer can be bought for a bit more from Go Outdoors.

If you run your scope from a battery that has a spare 'cigarette lighter' connector, it could be worth trying.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: 12V hair dryer

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:11 pm

Please, we would like this forum to be an inclusive site for all people interested in astronomy, with respect and consideration for all people who come here in good faith.

If you want to make disparaging remarks, please find a site where they will be welcome.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Beware of incredulous neighbours wondering why you are drying your hair stood in in the dark in your back yard! :D

I do have a hair dryer on standby in case of emergencies, but of course they are only a temporary fix for dew formation. Within a short time the dew will just come back again.

Purpose built dew strips and a decent controller are expensive but they are a permanent solution. I bought one for my telelcope. For a cheaper option there are Pulse Width Modulation PWM DC Motor Speed Controllers (try eBay) for a fraction of the price. With a dew strip, they do exactly the same thing. I use one on the all-sky camera, and it has been keeping the dew off for years. It cost me less than £5 including postage.

I think humour has it place here, but chauvinism of any kind cannot be allowed to pass without comment. vega1972, please consider editing that post - it really isn't funny.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 pm

It goes to show what I've always said that amateur astronomers are great at adapting things for uses that were not originally intended. Before I bought a moon filter and variable polarising filter, I wore sunglasses to view Jupiter and Venus.

I think this use of hairdryers is innovative.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I will confess that I hijacked my wife's hair dryer back in 1989. It has a 1 1/4 inch nozzle which is very useful! I bought her a new one to replace it, of course. I still have it, and if I quickly need to dry something, it still comes in handy. Wearing sun glasses in the dark is almost as bad as drying your hair at midnight, stood in the garden. No wonder we astronomers have gained a reputation of being a bit 'strange'! :lol:
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm

In terms of adapting, Meade sell a mini colour display to go with their LS mounts to give more details of objects than the handset can.
Costs about £100, but a £15 screen as sold to be used with reversing cameras works just as well.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:11 am

vega1972 wrote:
Aratus wrote:I think humour has it place here, but chauvinism of any kind cannot be allowed to pass without comment. vega1972, please consider editing that post - it really isn't funny.

I'm truly chastened by your reproving post. But why wasn't it funny?

That is a good question, and I'll be brief - after all it isn't a Sunday! :D

If we can all laugh with you over something - that is funny. If someone is being laughed at for simply being who they are, then that is hurting someone. That is especially true if that person is in a minority in our hobby, and may find it hard to feel accepted. The overall effect is for it to be not funny. IMHO.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:13 pm

Aratus

That is a fine definition of ridicule over humour. But it was not a good question, it was further ridicule on top of the original ridicule by a new member who came here with the sole purpose of ridicule. If this were not so then why has the post by the "truly chastened" not been edited as requested?
Graeme1858

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm

Some of my humour is somewhat politically challenged. As a white elderly Englishman, I also tell jokes about white elderly Englishmen. However, I only use this humour with people who I know well and know that I will laugh if they respond with anti-English jokes, etc.

I think it is better not to post humour on a public forum that can be construed as offensive to certain groups of people. A public forum is not a private chatroom or someone's lounge.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Equipment Advice