The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Re: The Celestron Astro Fi 130 Newtonian set up question

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 am

Hi,
Well it looks like my new astronomy hobby is over before its begun sadly.
I connected ok using the Sky Portal app but then spent the whole evening fruitlessly trying to align it.
I could see many bright stars last night, so pointed the scope at them, zero'd in using the cross hairs, pressed align, and was then told my telescope wasn't close enough to each target to align?

I then tried round the other side of my house and got the same results.
So eventually I thought I'd have a manual look but because I couldn't identify anything all I could see were small dots of light - those being stars.
I put in my 10mm lens and these stars became what I can only really describe as small polo mint shapes? I'm not sure if the lens is damaged but they
didn't look normal

So at midnight I dejectedly took the telescope indoors and will be boxing it back up and returning it to Argos after work tomorrow

I genuinely thought I'd found a great new hobby which would give me years of interest and fun, but using a scope that doesn't work with an app that in effect tells me to move closer to the sky to use it has led me to giving up.

Those veg sound great by the way - although I've never heard of Brassicas? What are they?
Jimmy
Newbie Jimmy

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:44 am

You could try the support tab on the Celestron website before you take the scope back. I found them very keen to help. Don't give up just yet! You will still be able to view the easier to find stuff, the planets, the brighter fuzzies and of course the Moon.

The polo mints will go when you re-focus after changing lenses.

Brassicas are the cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli family, which strangely includes turnips. :D
Graeme1858

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks for your encouragement but the thought of constant future frustration is quite off putting really.
However, i will do as you suggest and contact Celestron to see if they can advise.

Thanks for the tip about the lens by the way....feel a little daft now as to focus it should have been obvious!

Just about to go to Asda and will test out the staff there by asking where the Brassicas are :)
Newbie Jimmy

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 am

I'm not sure if the Sky Portal align method is the same as for other Celestron scopes, but I know that some of them require you to centre the star from the lower left quadrant.
This is because there's always a bit of backlash in the gears, so by making sure your last motor movements were consistently 'right and up' rather than mixing in with 'down' movements and 'left' movements.

This might help.
right and up.png
right and up.png (5.04 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Alternatively of course, you could look for a manual telescope without GOTO - a lot of people swear by them, and a 6" Dobsonian scope would give you more light gathering capability - with the added benefit that you'll really learn your way about the night sky.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Gfamily2 wrote:Alternatively of course, you could look for a manual telescope without GOTO - a lot of people swear by them, and a 6" Dobsonian scope would give you more light gathering capability - with the added benefit that you'll really learn your way about the night sky.

Agreed! Then you wouldn't have to learn both the sky and the goto telescope at the same time. Learn the sky first.

When I practised using mine indoors during the day I was guessing where stars were so the alignment was failing every time on the 3rd star! And I got the same "Your alignment target is too far from the telescope's actual position." If you were accurately pointing at the alignment stars, could your problem be that the tripod was not quite level?

Regards

Graeme
Graeme1858

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:44 pm

A quick mention of my favourite piece of advice, "look out for a local Astronomy Society, they're invaluable sources of advice, particularly if they have observing sessions".

Check out local ones here
http://gostargazing.co.uk
Or here
http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Newbie Jimmy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi,
I took my scope back today for a refund.
I was going to order a different scope but I have found that my back garden is hopeless to view the sky from due to a street light sat right above my neighbour's wall, and a very large tall Oak tree 50 metres away. The other side of the house has 3 street lights along the road

So weighing up all these factors it would have meant I would have had to take the scope elsewhere to use it, which for me would have been too much of an ask when starting a new hobby

Thank you all for you advice and support you have given me though, it was much appreciated
Jimmy
Newbie Jimmy

Previous

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question