Classic Sky at Night Programmes

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Classic Sky at Night Programmes

Postby Daveburton » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 am

Just a quick request

I'd be very happy to see more classic "Sky at Night" programmes on the cover CD.

They are interesting and nostalgic on so many levels, covering as they do, historic moments in astronomy and space research and for showing how our knowledge of the cosmos is evolving. It's also a pleasure to see the boundless energy and enthusiasm of Sir Patrick in his prime.
Last edited by Daveburton on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daveburton

Re: Classic Sky at Night Programmes

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Daveburton wrote:Just a quick request

I'd be very happy to see more classic "Sky at Night" programmes on the cover CD.

They are interesting and nostalgic on so many levels, covering as they do, historic moments in astronomy and space research and for showing how our knowledge of the cosmos is evolving. It's also a pleasure to see the boundless energy and enthusiasm of Sir Patrick in his prime.

Hi and welcome
I don't know how much the editors of S@N magazine follow this forum, it would be nice to think they do, but they never write, never drop by...

However, if you're in UK, there's usually a selection of classic S&N programmes available to watch on iPlayer.
Currently 8 of the 9 available programmes are 'classic'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=b006mk7h
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

There is normally an old S@N show to watch as part of the on line Bonus Content that comes with the magazine in place of the old CD giveaway. But ironically there isn't this month! There is an interview with Martin Rees the Astronomer Royal to download though.

Regards

Graeme

Postby Aratus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

It used to be a feature of the bonus content that it included a classic 'Sky at Night' programme, but I've not seen one included for many months now. More recently there have been editions from 2 months previous. It is probably more relevant to do that, but I do like watching the old classic programmes. The ones included on the iplayer are ok, but they are not very typical. Almost exclusively they deal with space missions to the planets. Much more interesting ones would be the episodes dealing with Bases on the moon (1960) and the Earl of Ross telescope from 1967. The interview with Micheal Bentine (one Christmas in the early 1970s) is a good one.

If anyone from the magazine reads this, - I think we would still like to see some of the archive.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Aratus wrote:
If anyone from the magazine reads this, - I think we would still like to see some of the archive.

Seconded!

Return to General