Loosing the this of Sir Patrick

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Loosing the this of Sir Patrick

Postby george cunningham » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:04 pm

Hi,

I am concerned that TSAN is loosing its roots and becoming overly engulfed as the playground for promoting equipment and cameras. If you want to become a photographers magazine then change the mag name and allow the rest of us to move onto what SPM meant the programme to be i.e accessible for anyone interested in the night sky.

The idea that some person on a normal wage can finance camera equipment kicking in the hundreds of pounds and telescope at 4K then your are becoming elitist and for the rich. OK fine if thats the direction the mag wants to go for the advert revenue. But let my TV licence fee and subscirption go to more TSAN monthly programmes and not flogging cameras or expensive telescope.

gc inverness
george cunningham

Re: Loosing the this of Sir Patrick

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 am

Hello George.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you're talking about both the Sky at Night TV programme and the Sky at Night magazine.

The magazine equipment review section is full of stuff that will always be out of reach financially but it's still interesting to read about. There is a section on astro photography and image processing but it's not new and astro photography is becoming more popular. These sections are just part of the content, the news sections and the articles cover all aspects not just cameras.

The TV programme has changed completely and whilst Sir Patrick's style was watched with great interest for many decades and he is missed by us all, the new themed style of show under Chris Lintott's stewardship is of great interest every month. The only complaint I have is that it's not on every week.

Regards

Graeme

Re: Loosing the this of Sir Patrick

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:41 pm

I think like most magazines of this kind it has to cater for beginners and advanced as well as those with lots of money and those on a tight budget. I can remember as a teenager looking at the old US 'Sky and Telescope' magazine looking at expensive SCT telescopes knowing that there was no way I could afford those. Well, situations change.

Cameras are the way forward with amateur astronomy. You can't get away from that. I agree that looking at £700+ cameras is rather indulgent, but that is the cost of wide field CCD devices. You can get cameras with smaller sensors for a lower price. You can still do amazing planetary and lunar work with hi-res web cams costing less than £30. Perhaps that ought to be reflected more in the content of the magazine
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General