Reflector Telescope Issues When Viewing Objects

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Reflector Telescope Issues When Viewing Objects

Postby Dan1230 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:10 am

I tried to view Venus tonight on my Meade 114EQ-ASTR, but when I try to focus on the planet, all I see is the 3 beams holding the side smaller side reflector mirror. I can even see my fingers if I put them in front of the telescope. I only have 1 MA25mm eyepiece but I have a MA9mm eyepiece from an much older Meade telescope that doesn't fit but works only if I hold it in place. I'd be thankful for any type of help!
Dan1230

Re: Reflector Telescope Issues When Viewing Objects

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm

It is difficult to know exactly without seeing what is happening for myself. Have you ever managed to focus on anything before? If you can focus (for example) on the Moon, you should not need to re-focus to see Venus. Venus is surprisingly difficult to see through a telescope as it is very bright and the brightness is spread over a very small area.

It sounds like your focus is way out and you need to turn the knob the other way until the 3 beams disappear.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

About Me: https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Pugh/e/B0034NTCJK

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:49 pm

Dan1230 wrote:I tried to view Venus tonight on my Meade 114EQ-ASTR, but when I try to focus on the planet, all I see is the 3 beams holding the side smaller side reflector mirror. I can even see my fingers if I put them in front of the telescope. I only have 1 MA25mm eyepiece but I have a MA9mm eyepiece from an much older Meade telescope that doesn't fit but works only if I hold it in place. I'd be thankful for any type of help!

It sounds like the kind of image you get when you are not using an eyepiece. You need a 1.25" eyepiece in the eyepiece tube at the side of the telescope. The MA25mm is better than nothing, but the 9mm would be better for planetary observing. Consider using it with a barlow lens for better magnification.
You need to run the focussing knob until you get a small bright image.

I'm not sure why the eyepiece doesn't fit. The MA9mm is a 1.25" eyepiece.
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm

It sounds to me that your focuser may be racked too far out to focus the eyepiece at infinity. Have you tried the scope during the day? Can you get it focussed on a distant street light, treetop or tv aerial?
If you can get it focussed on the most distant terrestrial object you can see, it should only be a small change to rack it inwards to get stars and planets into focus.

Does the 9mm eyepiece have a smaller barrel size? Some telescopes used to come with 0.965" diameter eyepieces, which would need an adapter to use with the 1.25" focuser. I've just donated mine (from an old Meade scope as well) to a friend who has restored a '60s Japanese scope that uses the older ep size.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 pm

I did a bit of checking, and it seems that Meade did do 0.965" 'MA' eyepieces many years ago.
That might explain the eyepiece that doesn't fit. I've never seen a Meade 0.965" myself.
At one time an adapter could be fashioned from old 35mm film canisters. Cardboard and duct tape around the eyepiece tube widening it to 1.25" would probably do.

To be fair, some 0.965" eyepieces are considered to be little gems, but I'm not sure the 0.965 MA series was in that bracket.

The 'correct' eyepiece for this telescope is . . .
https://www.telescopehouse.com/meade-ma-9mm-eyepiece-1-25.html
I use an 11" reflector (Celestron CPC 1100) and a 3" refractor, (Sky-Watcher ST80) mounted on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI 120MM, ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 1300D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Dan1230 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:29 am

Thanks for the help! That 9mm eyepiece I was talking about was from a pretty old telescope, probably from the early 1970s. It is a Meade Model 295, and I can't find a trace of information about it on the internet. Anyway, I tried to focus on some trees out the window and it worked, so at least I know it's functional. I would try to take it out tonight but it's going to be rainy and foggy for the next couple of days. I tried disassembling the telescope and clean it up a while ago, but still no luck. I'll try to see if I can get a look at the moon when the weather clears up.
Dan1230

Postby Dan1230 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 am

It turns the fog cleared up tonight and I was able to go look at some planets. I tried looking at what I'm pretty sure was mars, but there seems to be another problem. Instead of seeing a bright dot or circle, I see some kind of arc. I really don't understand where it is coming from. I can't seem to take any pictures of through the lens when it's dark, so I'll try to make some pictures of what I'm seeing in Microsoft Paint.
arc.png
arc.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

And here's the problem that I originally came here with:
telescopeproblems.png
telescopeproblems.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

The pictures are not exact, but I tried my best to recreate them.
Last edited by Dan1230 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan1230

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:35 pm

The first I cannot explain but the second is definitely a view of something bright ans out of focus. You need to adjust the focusser so that the disc is at its smallest.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

About Me: https://www.amazon.com/Philip-Pugh/e/B0034NTCJK

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Dan1230 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 am

Still havn't been able to see any planets :(
Dan1230

Postby Gfamily2 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Dan1230 wrote:Still havn't been able to see any planets :(

What about the Moon? Can you get it centred on the Moon and get that in focus?

Once you have the moon in view, you need to get the finder (if it has one) aligned exactly on what's in the centre of the eyepiece.
Also, once it's focused on the Moon - don't change the eyepiece and don't change the focus.

Planets are small and easy to miss, so getting your finder aligned is important.
To be honest, none of the planets are particularly well placed for viewing at the moment, unless you're a very early bird.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question