Eclipse Reminder!!!

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Eclipse Reminder!!!

Postby jsc248 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Gang,
Don't forget to watch out for tonights eclipsed Moon, not only will it be a different colour at Moonrise, but it will be at it's largest. as you know the Moons orbit is eliptical and tonights full Moon will be when the Moon is at it's closest, so get out there and enjoy it (pray for clear skies gang!)
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Eclipse Reminder!!!

Postby Pete Lawrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Hi John,

The colour of the Moon should be more or less the same as it ever is with the exception that it will be affected by the horizon murk which might indeed make it look red. There won't be any real colouration from the eclipse itself as it's a pretty small partial. It should look like it has had a bite taken out of the top of it though. It's hellishly low (well it's eclipsed as rising) so expect it to be dimmed by quite a lot even if the sky is perfectly clear. Binoculars will help to spot it early.
Pete Lawrence

Postby col » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Aaaaagh work beco beko beccon er calls[:D]

col
col

Postby Pete Lawrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Actually that reminded me - here's a shot of a total eclipse of the Moon first visible over the sea...

[image]http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/eclipse001.jpg[/image]

You'd be forgiven for not spotting the eclipsed Moon in that shot - but it is there! This was harder than tonight's eclipse because the disk of the Moon was coloured in this instance (an effect that occurs around totality). The best shot of the eclipse came later on...

[image]http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/eclipse006.jpg[/image]

I remember it very well because at this time I had my scope and camera set up outside in the garden (we had come back from the beach at this point). Both of my sons (Richard and Douglas) had been helping me and had an extension to bedtime on a school night. At the time this shot was taken, they were being tucked up in bed by my wife. Then, Douglas (the youngest) managed to knock a sparkly lava lamp over and empty it's contents over a new beige carpet that we'd just had fitted in his room. There were a few choice words muttered as I had to balance taking the eclipse shots with trying to recover his carpet from the horrendous pool of oily, glitter infested blue that was slowly creeping across the room...

Happy memories nonetheless.
Pete Lawrence

Postby jsc248 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Nice images Pete despite the sons trying to destroy it!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby jjdemery » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi Pete

Thought at first you were being sarcastic about the first pic as there were too many clouds, but it is there isnt it. About 2.5cm (on my screen anyway!) above the horizon directly above the P in your name - I think!!!

Lets hope for clear skies later - not looking good at the mo in N Wales.
jjdemery

Postby spartacus » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:40 pm

not a cloud in the sky here Jonathan [:D]

Keef
spartacus

Postby jjdemery » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Well Metcheck got it right, 100% clouds at 15 00 then 0% clouds after 18 00, couldnt believe my luck, went up the orme in Llandudno with my etx to get a good view of the horizon. Was a bit worried about the low haze/polution over liverpool/Chester direction but that didnt spoil a cracking evening.
PS Check out my images on [url=http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=14172&mpage=1&key=㝜]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=14172&mpage=1&key=㝜[/url]

Hope you all managed to see it.
jjdemery

Return to Astro Alerts