Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bins

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bins

Postby andyhewitt » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 pm

I have a pair of the Meade 10x40 bins that were being sold at Lidl last year, and have been very pleased with them. However, the quality is not reflected in the prices as they started off considerably more than Lidl's sold them for.

I have felt the need for something between these and my telescope, as there is often too big a step between to view some things, or indeed find them. Having read the July issue review of the 15x70 bins, I thought the SkyMaster ones would do nicely. I really wanted to handle them first, so I popped into an In Focus store I was near, but they didn't stock these particular bins. They did have a pair of 15x70 Opticrons though, so I tried them out. Not bad, nice clear image, although they did feel a bit like the 10x50 Prinz bins I had 25 years ago, the image had that look as well. These were on their shelf at £180, which was more than I wanted to spend.

I went away a little dissapointed really. Anyway, I went to Argos today and got the SkyMaster bins ( the choice being £89 from Argos with no postage, or £79 elsewhere plus postage). I was quite taken aback by how much better than the Opticrons these are, a marvelous product at that price for sure. The SkyMasters have much better eye relief and the image is as clear as you'd expect from high magnification.

Just a little thank you to S@N Magazine for a good review that delivered.
andyhewitt

RE: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bins

Postby carlos_dfc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm

I have a pair of those Celestron 15x70s, and love 'em.

Was using them just last night - lovely and clear here - bit of a cluster-hunt, even ngc7789 in Cass stood out really well with them, also 'bagged' a few of the little open clusters around Cepheus, Lacerta, and Cygnus.
Stick 'em on a tripod, and you can even make out m57 with 'em [:)]

Also - LOL @ the 10x40 Lidl bins [:D]
I noticed a while ago that a baffle inside the barrels, was vignetting the aperture a bit.
Still great for a tenner though - I got 2 of 'em - One branded Meade, the other , 'Bresser', but otherwise identical - I just leave one of 'em in the car all the time, then I ALWAYS have a pair handy - and for a tenner, it's no big deal if they get banged around a bit in the boot......
carlos_dfc

Postby andyhewitt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:36 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: carlos_dfc

I have a pair of those Celestron 15x70s, and love 'em.

Was using them just last night - lovely and clear here - bit of a cluster-hunt, even ngc7789 in Cass stood out really well with them, also 'bagged' a few of the little open clusters around Cepheus, Lacerta, and Cygnus.
Stick 'em on a tripod, and you can even make out m57 with 'em [:)]

Also - LOL @ the 10x40 Lidl bins [:D]
I noticed a while ago that a baffle inside the barrels, was vignetting the aperture a bit.
Still great for a tenner though - I got 2 of 'em - One branded Meade, the other , 'Bresser', but otherwise identical - I just leave one of 'em in the car all the time, then I ALWAYS have a pair handy - and for a tenner, it's no big deal if they get banged around a  bit in the boot......

[/quote]

I only got a little look last night, nice view of M31 (I use that as a starting point each night), although it was fading in and out with some high clouds. In fact that cut my time a little short, as it clouded over quite a bit very quickly, so I didn't get much time scan anywhere else.

I've yet to get them on a tripod, although the supplied bracket looks quite substantial.

I haven't noticed any vignetting on my Meade 10x50's, they give a very clear and wideangle view. I did get mine in the first rush last year.
andyhewitt

Postby timelord52 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:26 am

They sound really and in my budget too thank for all your reviews [8D]
timelord52

Postby spudnuts » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:36 am

hi andyhewitt i recently bougt a pair of telescopehouse,s own revelation 10x70 bins and what a good pair of bins they are at £59 light nice eye relief ,and u get a tripod mount too cant be bad
spudnuts

Postby carlos_dfc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:53 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: andyhewitt

I've yet to get them on a tripod, although the supplied bracket looks quite substantial.

[/quote]

You probably realised by now - but that bracket isn't as substantial as it first appears, and does allow a fair bit of 'wobble'

My solution was to fill the sides with car-body repair putty - the type with a seperate hardener - it sets like a rock.
Not pretty, but it certainly works (I later painted the putty black, so it doesn't look too bad now[:)] )
carlos_dfc

Postby gammalog » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:43 pm

I went to Argos today and got the SkyMaster bins ( the choice being £89 from Argos with no postage, or £79 elsewhere plus postage).
[/quote]

Yep, me too!!

Just went to Argos and got me a pair, and very nice too.

Found I had £25 in points 'sitting' on the Nectar Card (which rarely gets used), so got me pair of these 15 x70s for £64, a good deal at that price.

Even buying them from one of the astro retailers, with 10% discount and free p&p, still worked out at £71.

In general, I find that Nectar Points are about as much value as a 'Chocolate Fire Guard', and its only worth re-deeming them at Argos.

Dave
gammalog

Postby andyhewitt » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:33 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: gammalog

I went to Argos today and got the SkyMaster bins ( the choice being £89 from Argos with no postage, or £79 elsewhere plus postage).
[/quote]

In general, I find that Nectar Points are about as much value as a 'Chocolate Fire Guard', and its only worth re-deeming them at Argos.

Dave
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. I've thrown away so many of the useless vouchers of got from many store loyalty cards. They get my loyalty by giving me good products and good service at a reasonable price, not because I have a voucher for £10 if I spend over £100 on something I don't need or want.

I still love the bins though, I've actually used them more than the TAL-1 over the last few weeks. The weather's been so bad that I only get a few minutes btween clouds.
andyhewitt

Postby nairb » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:53 am

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie to the forum and pretty new to astonomy.

Anyways, i decided to buy Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bins thanks to the reviews etc you chaps gave them and boy am i pleased.[:)]

However it wasn't all plain sailing as my first two sets i got out of Argos had problems.
First set had severe collimation problem and were giving me headaches then the second set had a bad focus/distortion problem on the right eye piece.

After returning the last set i was very tempted to get my money back and go elsewhere to buy a different make of binocular but i decided to go for 3rd time lucky.....and my goodness what a good decision [:)]

I took my new bins out of the box and a visual inspection verified all was good with the bins. The focusing on the right eye piece was set at the little 0 (zero) and i looked through them turning the centre focus....BINGO....WOW.....Crisp, Sharp, Clear, Bright and beautifully collimated....PERFECTO!!!!!
I was amazed at the fact that i didn't need to adjust the right eye piece focus at all...left it sitting on 0 (zero) which was excellent as both my eyes are more or less equal in sight.
But the most interesting thing was yet to strike me. When turning the center focus slowly and gently, i noticed a little click or blip sensation on the center focus just as the bins are perfectly focused at medium to long range. In fact, because of this click sensation in the focus movement, i dont have to look through the binos to focus them, when i feel it click, i look through the bins and hey presto....perfectly focused. Feels like these babies were custom made for my eyes [:)]

Well, sorry for rabbiting on, thought i would let you know my situation with these binoculars.....from agony to ectasy [;)]

Anyway....after all that.....i NEED a clear sky LoL

Until later....

-Brian
nairb

Postby andyhewitt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:36 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: NairB

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie to the forum and pretty new to astonomy.

Anyways, i decided to buy Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 bins thanks to the reviews etc you chaps gave them and boy am i pleased.[:)]

[snip tale of woe and joy}

Well, sorry for rabbiting on, thought i would let you know my situation with these binoculars.....from agony to ectasy [;)]

Anyway....after all that.....i NEED a clear sky LoL

Until later....

-Brian 
[/quote]

Hi Brian,

Glad it all worked out, although I have to say mine were perfect straight away, and like you (eventually), found them really stunning to use. I haven't seen any really clear skies for weeks now though, and I'm feeling rather frustrated with my sky gazing. Still, it's looking windy and rainy at the moment, perhaps that will lead to better things.

All the best

Andy.
andyhewitt

Next

Return to First Light and Group Test