One Moon too many?

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

One Moon too many?

Postby asterixhb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 am

In January's article "Patrick Moore's Stargazing Year", I notice that in June there are 2 full moons. As Sir Patrick is a self declared moon enthusiast, you would think that he would be quite pleased at this. However, the caption beside the Moon's image clearly states "June sees two full Moons that will [b][u]interfere [/u][/b]with observing". IMCO, (C - Cynical), Sir Patrick is thoroughly fed up with the Moon, he didn't write the article or the editorial team just forgot when they interjected. Personally, I agree with the caption [image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m9.gif[/image].
asterixhb

RE: One Moon too many?

Postby les » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:03 pm

HI Kev,
If there is two full Moons in the month the second is called a blue Moon for some reason.If theres to be a blue Moon Id prefer it to be in June as at my latitude it doesnt get properly dark for deep sky observation anyway.[:D]
Regards Les.
les

RE: One Moon too many?

Postby clipperride » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:30 pm

It struck me as odd too. I made a decision early on to activly study the Moon. I do enjoy deep sky observing, but as fate seems to dicrate that Moonless nights and clear nights rarely coinside, it seemed much easier to embrace the oppotunity to learn my way around. Even with the most modest of equipment you can get some breath taking views. Even though the Moon itself it pretty much unchanging, the constant changing illumination means it'll be a long time before I have seen all our neighbour has to offer.

Regards

Mark B
clipperride

Return to General