Weird shadow effects during solar eclipse

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Weird shadow effects during solar eclipse

Postby wgater » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm gradually publishing my images from Turkey and have put up some pictures ([url=http://willgater.blogspot.com]http://willgater.blogspot.com[/url]) I got of the crazy shadow effects that a solar eclipse brings. There's a nice one (I think[:)]) demonstrating the blurred and straight edges caused by a crescent Sun.

Will
wgater

RE: Weird shadow effects during solar eclipse

Postby Pete Lawrence » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:43 pm

I've still got that room key [;)]
Pete Lawrence

Postby jsc248 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 pm

Hi Will,
Very interesting effect, well captured.
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby wgater » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Pete,

Jump on a plane and get back out there then! Nice dark skies and a beach by day! [:D] LOL

Will
wgater

Postby kaseshar » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Will,

I was in Veca in southern Spain last year around September and with the weather hear at the moment, you can deffinately see the advantage of having a 'climate' rather than a weather system, little to no light pollution from very lrage cities and a beach only 5 minutes away.

The other great thing was that the town was on a hill and all the houses had roof gardens which meant that you had a completely uninterupted view of the sky. Was a really special holiday for me.

Pete, speaking of the room key, if its a chip / card kind of thing I'm sure that they will be able to make a copy.

If you actually have a physical key, then I hope they have a master copy, otherwise the room will be locked up and you may get a rather large bill[;)]

Andy
kaseshar

Postby jsc248 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi Andy,
Did you manage to get images whilst you were over here, if so why not post some of them?
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby Pete Lawrence » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:50 pm

[quote]Pete, speaking of the room key, if its a chip / card kind of thing I'm sure that they will be able to make a copy.[/quote]

It's a card with a chip in it. Just as well really as I still have one for the Ardisia (where I saw the eclipse from) and one for the Maritim (where I was based for several days beforehand). Ooops.

Pete Lawrence

Postby sumodaz » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:06 pm

Bit of a key cleptomanic, eh Pete???? [;)]
sumodaz

Postby kaseshar » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:36 pm

Sorry John, I wasn't lucky enough to get to Turkey to view the eclipse. I was just eulogising about the benefits of places less prone to cloud for viewing. I didn't mean to give the impression that I was a seasoned member of the Eclipse '06 gang. [:(]

As for images of my viewing sessions I am only just starting out in Astronomy and am using bins at the moment. I have tried to take a few pictures with my mobile camera for a laugh through my bins and last night I managed to scam the use of my parents digital camera for couple of shots of the moon.

As and when I get a scope, I may try a bit of imaging if I can.

I notice that you are based in Merseyside and have mentioned on another post that you have had nothing but damp grey skies out of your window. Can I suggest that you place a large fan pointing away from Manchester so that you can deflect the stratus from over the Irish sea / Atlantic before it gets here?[;)]

Andy
kaseshar

Postby jsc248 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi Andy,
Believe me if I could find a fan big enough, it would be the first thing I'd invest money in!
John.
jsc248

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches