Lunar highlights.

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Lunar highlights.

Postby jsc248 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:40 pm

[:D]Hi Gang,
I don't imagine that there is a single person who owns a telescope that has not looked at the Moon at some point. It is my favourite object to look at in the night sky, and on the surface I have two favourite objects to view! When the lighting is right, I don't think there is a more splendid sight than the Sinus Iridium, the beautiful bay of rainbows. Surrounded by the Jura Mountain chain this beautiful dark bay open into the Imbrium Basin. Under good lighting the smooth plain appears like a dark floor surrounded by a semi circle of light.
Secondly, and once again when the terminator crosses it, the grandad of craters Copernicus! This is a beautifully structured craters with high terraced walls and a large central mountain complex which shows up great telescopically.
What is your favourite Lunar feature and why?
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Lunar highlights.

Postby andrew short » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 pm

The moon is such a beautiful sight through a telescope,that I find it difficult to pick out any feature that I like best.What has caught my eye lately is the three craters (left-right)Theophilis,Cyrillus and Catharina.They remind me of a link from a bicycle chain.

Andrew.

[image]local://116/F855DFAE5418413A94CE936D90FFFF5E.jpg[/image]
andrew short

Postby jsc248 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Hi Andrew,
Theophilis is indeed a magnificent crater with full terraced walls and a good central peak group and the crater chain does give that kind of illusion. Great choice!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby albireo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Apart from the great craters like Tycho, Copernicus, Plato etc. I am intrigued by the solitary peaks Pico and Piton. I once observed the sunrise shine on the peak of Piton when it was still some distance from the terminator. A bright spot in the darkness. A great sight.
albireo

Postby les » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:50 am

HI all,
When I first saw the Moon through a scope in the early 70's it was a broad crescent.I had a moon map I got with the scope and I quickly recognised Mare Crisium.Picard was the first crater I idenified its only 25 km across and hardly spectacular but whenever I see the Mare Crisium and Picard it always reminds me of that early obsevation 34 years ago.
Regards Les.
les

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches