Various EPs For Sale

RE: Various EPs For Sale

Postby dw153 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:33 pm

I've not used an equivalent Celestron, so it would be wrong of me to comment on the comparative quality. If price is anything to go by (which in reality it isn't always) you would expect the Meade to be better.

However, despite wanting to sell it (!), I would agree with what the others have said about the FOV. I have used the 32mm Meade from the same range, and was surprised to find that the field was actually a little bit greater than what I could see with the 40mm. The Pleiades was my test object: the 40mm struggled to show it all, whereas the 32mm managed with ease. That said, though, it's still a nice eyepiece [:)]

Whereabouts in the Eurozone are you?
dw153

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm in Ireland. I am happy with my 32mm (1.25) EP. With the 40mm, things that are already small in the 32mm will be smaller.

So it really wouldnt be a sound investment.

So as they say on Dragons Den:

Sorry, but i'm out.

Now if i DIDNT have the 32mm, i would buy the 40mm no worries. It would be a nice EP to own for someone who has not already got a 32mm.

Sorry i didnt mean to string you along. I'm sure there is someone out there who needs it more then i do.

lukeskywatcher

Postby dw153 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:26 pm

[quote]Now if i DIDNT have the 32mm, i would buy the 40mm no worries. It would be a nice EP to own for someone who has not already got a 32mm.
[/quote]

I absolutely agree with you. Don't worry about any stringing along, I didn't feel that way - it was good of you to say you were out rather than keeping any suspense.

For someone without a widefield EP, it would be a good choice, particularly if you couldn't stretch to the price of a new one.
dw153

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 pm

It would be perfect for someone who has just bought a new scope and only got the standard 10mm,20mm EP's.

Unfortunately most "newbies" only want (or think they only want) EP's that zoom in on objects. They dont YET appreciate the beauty that a nice widefield EP can deliver.

I started off ten months ago with just a 10mm and a 20mm EP. LOVED THEM.

It was only in Jan of this year that i invested in an EP kit (you know the one i mean) that contained a 4mm,6mm,9mm,15mm,32mm and a 2X barlow (and various filters).

I'll be honest

I rarely use (or have had conditions good enough to use) anything below 15mm. And i almost never use my 2X.

I am purely an observational astronomer so the 1st EP i reach for is usually my 32mm (unless i have a plan for the night to get close and intimate with an object).

My point is that widefield observation is very relaxing and rewarding.

So your 40mm EP really will be a valuable addition to any beginners kit.

If my comments help sell it.......you can email me a fiver,LOL.

lukeskywatcher

Postby dw153 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:36 pm

What you say is so true. You could probably have a fair guess from my eyepiece collection in my sig that I'm an observational astronomer too, and you would be right. Yes, the focal lengths of the EPs I'm using are shorter than yours, but the 82º AFOV with the Nagler just doesn't compare to anything else I've seen, even at the relatively high mag of a 26mm. The same has to be said for the UWA 6.7mm - I still cannot believe the fields I get of Jupiter AND the high mag that the EP yields. Wide field is good... but wide field coupled with high mag... now you're talking!!

BTW, I will of course email you a fiver should you help it sell [;)]
dw153

Postby lukeskywatcher » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 am

The guy i bought both my scope and EP kit from emailed me this info about the EP's and magnification with my scope:

Some approximate calculations regarding your Celestron 90EQ @F11 and eyepiece setup…

Celestron 32mm Plossl (Apparent field of view) ~46 degrees
True Field of view: ~1.49 Degrees (that’s about 3 Moon diameters)
Magnification: x31

Celestron 15mm Plossl (Apparent field of view) 52 degrees
True Field of view: ~0.79 Degrees
Magnification: x66

Celestron 9mm Plossl (Apparent field of view) 52 degrees
True Field of view: ~0.47 Degrees
Magnification: x110

Celestron 6mm Plossl (Apparent field of view) 52 degrees
True Field of view: ~0.32 Degrees
Magnification: x165

Celestron 4mm Plossl (Apparent field of view) 52 degrees
True Field of view: ~0.21 Degrees
Magnification: x248

The Pleiades covers approximately 2 degrees of sky, so the 32mm would be a good choice for viewing this object (and others of course)
lukeskywatcher

Previous

Return to Eyepieces & Lenses