Which Planetarium

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

RE: Which Planetarium

Postby asterixhb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks chaps for all your replies. Sorry not replied to any before but not been on here much recently.

Gyro, you hit the proverbial nail right on it's noggin. I went on the SN website, they said that there is a known compatability issue with SN5 or older with Quicktime 7.4 or later. They suggested to uninstall QT and re-install with the older 7.3 version. Also, not to run in compatability mode.

Once done, I restarted SN and the whole sky was ablaze with orbiting toolbags etc [:D]

Cheers me ol' buddy chum mucker pal.
asterixhb

Postby wombat » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:26 pm

try e-bay where else ? [;)]
wombat

Postby gyro » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:10 pm

Kev G.

Glad to be of help.

I think this is another good example of where the Forum would benefit from a section for "Computers and Astronomy". I don't think members would abuse this with non-Astronomy related topics which are well covered on 'computer specific' sites.
gyro

Postby bunbury » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 am

I downloaed Stellarium the other day, based on recommendations on this site. I love it. [:D] Thanks guys. I'm still learning my way around it (and the sky) and I think it's really going to help me. It also looks groovy. [:D]
bunbury

Re: Which Planetarium

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm

10 years later and Stelarium still takes some beating!!!

Postby Aratus » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Are you sure you are not an archaeologist - digging up old threads. :D

I got 'Starry Night' free with my telescope - 15 years ago. I've got the 'plus' 6.4.3 version now. I've not updated to version 7 because frankly they are just adding stuff that I'll never use. 'Exo-planets' and zooming into stars as 3D objects are of little help to me! I think Stellarium has reached the same stage where they are desparately trying to think of new features to add to get you to buy the lastest version - but actually they are not needed. (IMHO!)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Aratus wrote:Are you sure you are not an archaeologist - digging up old threads. :D

I got 'Starry Night' free with my telescope - 15 years ago. I've got the 'plus' 6.4.3 version now. I've not updated to version 7 because frankly they are just adding stuff that I'll never use. 'Exo-planets' and zooming into stars as 3D objects are of little help to me! I think Stellarium has reached the same stage where they are desparately trying to think of new features to add to get you to buy the lastest version - but actually they are not needed. (IMHO!)

Buy?

No, I know what you mean, but to me Stellarium is still developing new and worthwhile features. I'm currently preparing a talk about TESS for my local astro society, and the 'Exoplanets' filter is great for showing the way that Kepler may well have found x thousand exoplanets, but they've only looked systematically in very limited regions of the sky.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Can't remember what I was searching for now!

The Celestron I'm getting comes with the Starry Night software but I was planning on using Sky Portal because i can use it on the iPad. Will the Starry Night software install on the iPad or an Android? Which would you recommend?

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Graeme1858 wrote:Can't remember what I was searching for now!

The Celestron I'm getting comes with the Starry Night software but I was planning on using Sky Portal because i can use it on the iPad. Will the Starry Night software install on the iPad or an Android? Which would you recommend?

I think I use Stellarium the most on my Android phone, because familiarity means I don't need to think about how to search for objects, and when I've found them it's quick to find details about it - like altitude, magnitude etc.
However, Sky Safari has some advantages in that it's better at keeping the screen uncluttered labels appear and disappear as you zoom in and out.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am

Stellarium has always been good for most things. I have it on my phone, my pc and my ipad! However, it won't control my new scope when it comes. So I wondered which out of Starry Night or Sky Portal would be the preferred choice for goto control?

PreviousNext

Return to First Light and Group Test