Precession of Equinoxes

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Precession of Equinoxes

Postby aztecastromcj » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:13 pm

ok i know takes roughly 26000yrs for the precission of equinoxes to occur or the (great year)
but how do we know where abouts we are in that great year
is next great year due to start in 2012?

ok found out mayan calendar ends 2012 which is linked to above and sidereal time i think
aztecastromcj

RE: Precession of Equinoxes

Postby les » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 am

HI There James,
Ive heard that somewhere before that the Mayans predict the world would end in 2012.[:o]At 26,000 years precession seems very slow and you would think you would not notice any changes in a human lifetime but my first Norton Star Atlas which I owned in the early 70's was of Epoch 1950 and the Summer Solstice was still in Gemini,but the slow march of the Summer Solstice westwards brought it into Taurus in 1991 and it now lies about a quarter of a degree from the Gemini border.
Regards Les.
les

Postby aztecastromcj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 am

hey les found out bit more supposedly the mayan calendar began yr3114bc 0.0.0.0.0 (mayan long count)they even have date 11th august and the end date 21st december 2012 (13.0.0.0.0 mayan long count) basically means extremely close conjuction of the winter soltice sun with crossing point of galactic equator (equator of milky way) and the ecliptic(path of sun)
so basically on winter soltice dec 2012 the noonday sun exactly conjucts the crossing point of the suns ecliptic with the galactic plane while also closely conjunting the exact centre of the galaxy WOW
alot of people think it could mean the End or some type of disaster maybe COMET while others say it is just like our calender and once at end just means u start at beginning of calendar again
another interesting thing i found out sidereal time has sun in aquarius for me when i was born yet in tabloid astrology i am pisces in fact all my family members and likely urself will be next starsign along in zodiac chart
also found out sun entered pisces in yr 500 and in 600yrs the year 2600 it will enter aquarius (at min it crosses equator 9degrees in constellation pisces)
also galactic cross rotates with one revolution in 220 million yrs (time it takes solar system to travel round galactic centre)
this is supposedly part of the 2012 soltices also makes great yr of 26000yrs not seem that long afterall
also like the whole universe is speeding up and accelerating away so are the precessions meaning it is even harder to work out any precise dates
hope u may find this interesting for anyone who doesn't already know
aztecastromcj

Postby sftonkin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Precession: The 25770 year cycle is a cycle, i.e. it has no beginning or end (alternatively, you can choose any arbitrary point on the cycle as the "beginning", in exactly the same way as different cultures do with the annual cycle).

2012: This is merely the end of one cycle of the Mayan calendar. It has no more significance than, say, the end of a cycle of leap days in centennial years. It is entirely unrelated to precession -- although an increasing number of deceptive historians and numerologists will try to convince you otherwise. I have some gumph on the 2012 nonsense [url=http://astunit.com/astrocrud/astrocrud.htm]here[/url].

Lastly, using "conjunct" as a verb is astro[b]logy[/b]-speak -- this is an astro[b]nomy[/b] forum [;)].
sftonkin

Postby aztecastromcj » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:50 pm

yeh i sum'd up quite well i thought tho to be so accurate with length is wrong 25770
as precessions (cycles) like whole universe is speeding up thereby no 2 precessions will be same length
as each r getting quicker
i prefer more accurate astronomy to less accurate astrology
although i find some mythology very interesting
thx for thoughts
aztecastromcj

Postby skye at night » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:30 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Les

HI There James,
Ive heard that somewhere before that the Mayans predict the world would end in 2012.[:o]
Regards Les.
[/quote]

Did they say if that would be before or after the London Olympics?[:D]

I hope it's before.....

Then I won't have to put up with the endless pre-coverage, coverage, post-coverage, repeats, best moments, '2012 remembered', etc.. etc..and every radio and tv channel clogged up for 3/4 weeks with folk spouting on about how great the olympic movement is and how high our hopes are for our rowers (posh ex-public school boys in boats), swimmers (what do they do for the 4 years in between olympics?), and privileged minor royals on horses!!!!

OOooh! don't know what's come over me! where are my pills?[&:][8|][&:]

Steve
skye at night

Return to Astro Alerts