Project Galileo

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

Project Galileo

Postby zedkatuf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Hi

I've just stumbled across the Sky at Night Forum, and thought it might be good to join.

A bit of background information:
I teach Physics at [url=http://www.cliftoncollegeuk.com]Clifton College[/url] in Bristol, and run an astronomy project for schools, called [url=http://www.projectgalileo.org.uk]Project Galileo[/url].

When I was a teenager, my dad built a telescope & observatory in our back garden - both of us got interested in astronomy as a result of watching the Sy at Night programmes, and eventually the observatory was the result. The observatory, 20 years on, is still there.

I always wanted to doing astrophotography with my dad's setup, but it wasn't stable enough, so when our school was donated a telescope & ccd camera 5 years ago, I was very keen to see the system online for others to use, and the idea of Project Galileo was born.

Last July, my school installed the Robodome on a nearby roof to the Physics Department, and we now have remote realtime control setup. I recently went to York University where they are developing a similar setup for schools in their area, and as a result, we've decided it would be good to collaborate with software development and develop joint projects, with one eventual aim to run the two systems as a distributed network, as a possible prototype for a bigger national network.

Whether or not we achieve that bigger aim remains to be seen, but in the meantime, Project Galileo is going through beta testing for scheduled access, and I hope that we'll be able to make it available for schools to use in early 2007, roughly the same time as the York observatory aims to be ready.
zedkatuf

RE: Project Galileo

Postby andromeda » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Nice one Dez and welcome to the forum.
andromeda

Postby gammalog » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi Dez, and welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for the informative intro and good luck with the ongoing development of Project Galileo.
gammalog

Postby zedkatuf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Thanks Andromeda & gammalog.

gammalog - do you have a website of your setup at all?

zedkatuf

Postby gammalog » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi Dez

No, I don't have a web-site.

Dave
gammalog

Postby qu54856bo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:03 pm

Welcome Zed - it's great to see youngsters being encouraged to take up astronomy. My son's school offers GCSE Astronomy - I must check to see if they have a club or, indeed, if Project Galileo is of interest.

best wishes
Auray
qu54856bo

Return to Introductions