PSU requirement for a Sky-Watcher EQ6 pro

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

PSU requirement for a Sky-Watcher EQ6 pro

Postby andrewt » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm

Had a search for EQ6 pro to find out what current it draws from the power supply.
Nothing in this Forum's search and nothing in the mount documentation.

So I measured the current at the battery feeding the EQ6pro (mVdrop across a 1r0 resistor)
I got ~100mA when I switched on.
Did a few Alt and Dec slews (one at a time) and it hovered around 950mA while fast slewing.
Then left it doing nothing and surprisingly it did not return to 100mA. It draws 450mA to 490mA and makes a tiny noise (buzzy whine).
Left it like that for a hour to see if it was tracking, nothing seen. Left it all afternoon until the battery was fully discharged and still no apparent movement.

What's happening?
Why is the mount making a noise and why is it drawing an extra 350mA? for no useful work?
andrewt

Re: PSU requirement for a Sky-Watcher EQ6 pro

Postby Aratus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

You might find it more instructive to actually align the mount and select a simple target like the moon. You can then see if the mount follows the moon, and therefore working correctly. Mounts normally make a little noise from the motors and gears when tracking. The electronics and computerising functions will also draw some power.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 am

But it was not tracking.
I left it running long enough to discern that the tracking was not operating.
Yet during this non tracking time, it was still drawing the higher current and still making the whine.

And yes, at turn on it was drawing ~100mA to power the handset.
andrewt

Postby Aratus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 am

Post duplicated
Last edited by Aratus on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Aratus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:32 am

Have you aligned the telescope, and told it to follow a particular object? Does it do it? I would think that would be the only question of importance, since that is how it should be operated. What the telescope does if you just switch it on and leave it is interesting but not diagnostic to any fault.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice