Question

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

RE: Question

Postby bigbob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Hello Helen
I wish I'd seen your question sooner, (not that there'd be anything to look at with these cloudy skies).
Peter Grego of the Lunar section of the Society for Popular Astronomy sometimes trains his telescopes on the night sky to look at the Moon and planets, and live images are sent straight to his web page. See images from previous sessions and dates of forthcoming sessions below.

[url=http://www.lunarobservers.com/]http://www.lunarobservers.com/[/url]

Regards
Bob (big)
bigbob

Postby jsc248 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks to brian mac and bigbob for the tips. I'll be checking them out soon!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby gammalog » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Big Dipper

Anyone know what this section is for?? [&:]
[/quote]

I'm not sure either, but you've all done a great job of filling up what was just an empty space, even if the content is probably totally irrelevant (LoL).

Keep 'posting'!!!

Dave

gammalog

Postby sky at night team » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi all

In answer to this mystical question; this section is for your comments and thoughts on products reviewed in the magazine. If you have purchased one of these products please share your thoughts with us!

Our editorial and online teams are constantly working hard to produce the magazine and when a chance arises we'll post some reviewed products [here] to get the ball rolling.

Best,
Lee
sky at night team

Postby les » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:06 am

HI All,
I bought a Revelation Dobbo,late last year and Im highly delighted with it,however Ade Ashford's reveiw mentions a rumble in azimuth axis,well I heard this and it never bothered me,it was just there,but since he brought it to my attention its starded to bug me[:@](thanks Ade)[:D].I took it to bits and sprayed some WD 40 on the rollers and its not so bad now but still there.Ho Hum.
Regards and clear skies Les
les

Postby brian mac » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi there big dipper, you asked what this section was for, so i will ask a question!, a verry simple one, if a star or anything astro is of a certain magnitude say 11.4 and your seeing under light pollution is say 3.4(i'm lucky if i get 4), does that make 11.4 into14.8., if so and i think it does and your scope only resolves@ say about 12 mag you might as well not look for certain objects. I think a scopes maximum mag perhaps differs up to 2 or 3 mag depending where you are. A simple question, but i think worth pondering.....[size=3]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

Postby sky at night team » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Hi all

As promised, here's the first Group Test review; http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tm.asp?m=5628

Best,
Lee
sky at night team

Postby jsc248 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks lee,
A very interseting article. I wonder whether any body out there uses these binoviewers. I would like to hear from people on how they compare to single eyepieces. Anyone using them?
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby drvibe » Tue May 09, 2006 4:33 pm

I'd love a set of binoviewers but the prohibitive cost of a pair of decent occulars to shove in it, somewhat kills that fancy.

Colin
drvibe

Postby brian mac » Tue May 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Hi john(jsc248), I use a bcf binoviewer and it is not as good as the wiliam optics. the bcf has a 17mm light path, the williams is 20.5mm much better....BUT i can tell you that since i used a binowiewer i cannot use one eye any more, it is so comfortable, i use 2" eye pieces with one eye now and then, but you can get good reasonably priced eye pieces. I plan to get a williams binoviewer. denk make them with 26mm light path, getting expensive now, there is also a black night 2" binoviewer 46mm LP(£900)....I can tell you that i cut my refractor tube down 55mm to compensate for the in travel needed to get focus without useing a barlow so i could use it at low power, using 20mm eye pieces on there own gives me 50x, with 1.6 magnimax screwed into them, 80x, or barlow screwed into binomate 200x. to put it in a nut shell binoviewing is in my opinion unbeatable, in fact 25x in my binomate and scope is better than my 25x binoculars.....[size=3]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

PreviousNext

Return to First Light and Group Test