Revalation 20X80 binoculars

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

RE: Revalation 20X80 binoculars

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:06 pm

After a sleepless night which involved much research and reading of reviews of both the Celestrons and the Strathspeys,and a good deal of pro'ing and con'ing on both and a rethink about just how much i really can afford to spend and how much i really want to spend i have decided that having read reviews that contain such scientific words as: "Wow","WOW","wow factor","stunning views", "simply put,these bins are AWESOME","I've seen so many Messier objects from my slightly LP'd garden with these bins that i can hardly remember them all but off the top of my head (the guy goes on to list about 50 objects)"

I CAN afford to,I Do want to spend a little more then i had planned to because words like WOW,wow factor and AWESOME are words i like to hear/read before i buy something, so it's for that reason i have decided on a final choice.

I am going to be importing my 20X90[b] (yep i did say 20X90)[/b] bins from Scotland. I am also gonna be buying the Horizon heavy duty tripod (but not from Scotland).

I dont want to wake up in 6 months time and say to myself "I really SHOULD have paid that little extra and got the 20X90's instead of.........", so i am getting the 20X90's.

If they are as good as everyone who uses them say they are (ive no reason to think otherwise), i think the extra few pounds is worth it.

The Oberwerk range of bins look great too (aint they the German cousin of the Straths?) and are half the price. The reviews are good but dont contain the buzz words in them that the Straths have.

lukeskywatcher

Postby space jockey » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm sure you'll be delighted with a pair of 20x90 Strathspey bins. John who runs Strathspey Binoculars is a really nice guy and always ready to help.

I had a similar thought about the Strathspey and Oberwerk bins being related although I'm not at all sure to be honest.
space jockey

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:23 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Space Jockey

I had a similar thought about the Strathspey and Oberwerk bins being related although I'm not at all sure to be honest.

[/quote]

I think i just found the family tree:

[url=http://www.binocularschina.com/binoculars/giantbinoculars90mm.html]http://www.binocularschina.com/binoculars/giantbinoculars90mm.html[/url]

You can buy in bulk and have your own logo printed onto the bins (bottom of initial contact page).

The page on coating is interesting:

[url=http://www.binocularschina.com/coating.html]http://www.binocularschina.com/coating.html[/url]

Christmas is too far off, so i sent my letter to Santa tonight for a pair of 20X90's and Horizon heavy duty tripod.He wrote back straight away telling me that he got my letter and he will be sending out my christmas present ASAP.

[color="#cc0000"][i][b]John who runs Strathspey Binoculars is a really nice guy[/b][/i][/color]

So i keep on reading. Every link i found about the bins by users, ended with them saying "John is a really nice guy".

I'm just curious. What is the delivery time from Strathspey and also Telescope House?

Can i expect my items to arrive this week?
lukeskywatcher

Postby space jockey » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 am

The tripod took about two days and the bins took about three, so pretty quick. I'd probably expect them inside of the week.
space jockey

Postby lukeskywatcher » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:13 pm

The bins were shipped on Monday (even though not enough shipping was paid), so i'm hoping they arrive tomorrow. I sent John the balance via Paypal last night. Nice guy. Not many people would ship before full payment has been sent. I had to ring Telescope house today because there wasnt enough shipping paid on the mount,so that the mount has been shipped today.

I dont know why both companies websites only charged me UK shipping rates.

Hopefully i'll have both by the weekend.

Now,where can i buy some clear skies?
lukeskywatcher

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:36 pm

My tripod arrived yesterday and the 20X90's arrived today. They are MONSTERS.A bit bigger then i was expecting.
lukeskywatcher

Postby binman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:50 pm

big bins like 25x100's and 20x90's are huge! seems to catch many short in the tripod department... imagine mounting a concrete breeze block and that should give an idea what you have to deal with.[:D]
binman

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm

The bins aint as heavy as i thought they were going to be but certainly not a pair for use without a tripod. Mounting them is a BIT tricky only because i'm afraid of dropping them so i take it very slowly. They are absolutely rock solid on the Horizon 8115. Not a wibble or a wobble to be seen or felt in/at/on any part of the combined setup (even with my digital camera and camera adapter latched onto one of the EP's).

I did a quick test with them on the house across the road (the neighbours are used to me pointing bins and scopes out of my window). With my 10X50's i can see there are windows on the house (apparently most houses have them), with the 20X90's i can see in through the windows and see the pictures hanging on the wall in the lounge. So the 20X magnification certainly passes with flying colours as does the light gathering capacity of the 90mm objectives, because the room i could see into is pretty dark.

I cant wait to take these puppies outside and give them a proper test drive.

So far i am MORE then loving what i have seen. They kind of make 10X50's look like a little sissy,LOL.

[image]local://3292/B1C0E1D84A15400DA0D4B9B5CDC3CA62.jpg[/image]

Tonight i did a test to see if indeed the lens,prisms etc are fully broadband coated (as advertised). I pointed the bins at a streetlamp (one of those horrible range glowy ones). All i could see was the element in the bulb and not a sign of any glow of any colour in or around the lamp. I then did the same test with a pair of 10X50 bins and it was horrible. The bulb was blindingly bright and the glow was everywhere.

I'm now wondering if they are shock proof,LOL.
lukeskywatcher

Postby binman » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm

how are you finding the horizon heavy duty tripod, i was thinking of getting one for my spotting scope and a pair of bigger 20x80 bins. is the head smooth with the weight of your 20x90's?
i have an opticron lighter weight one thats fine for a spotter and small bins but the head is a little jerky. looks like a good deal at telescope house for £80 inc P+P
binman

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: binman

how are you finding the horizon heavy duty tripod, i was thinking of getting one for my spotting scope and a pair of bigger 20x80 bins. is the head smooth with the weight of your 20x90's?
i have an opticron lighter weight one thats fine for a spotter and small bins but the head is a little jerky. looks like a good deal at telescope house for £80 inc P+P

[/quote]

The horizon is seriously heavy duty. Its outstanding in all aspects. The head is great with BIG bins because both the pan and tilt axis' have tention adjustment controls. Makes for very smooth panning and tilting.

I'd say buy one,you will not regret it.

Now if i can just figure out how to actually release the quick release plate, i should be able to mount my scope on the tripod because it looks about the same dimentions as the dove tail on the scope. Then i'd have a great Alt-az mount for my scope also.

By the way, i am no longer referring to my 20X90's as "Binoculars".That doesnt come close to the truth. I am coining a phrase here and calling them "Portable Twin Mounted Telescopes" or PTMT's for short.

It may catch on.
lukeskywatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment Advice