Revalation 20X80 binoculars

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Revalation 20X80 binoculars

Postby pulsar » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 pm

i have been considering the revalation 20x80 binoculars after reading the group test in the sky@night magazine and was wondering if anyone owns a pair or tested them. They faired amazingly well in the comparison in the magazine.???.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

RE: Revalation 20X80 binoculars

Postby binman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:00 pm

dont bet on them arriving or staying in alignment. my experience with a second hand pair bought by a neighbour left me laughing at terrible build quality and poor optics. we alighned them as best we could and he sold them to some poor shmuck on ebay.
i saw another pair at a carboot sale in new condition and the guy wanted £20 for them the alighnment was off on those too... awfull CA and poor blurry edge performance, not very sharp even in daytime. i wouldnt but these for any price
who does the testing on bins for skyatnight???? skymasters 15x70's got a thumbs up too and there horrid!...argos have stopped selling them because of high returnes (although they still sell those ridiculas mega zoom 70mm bins) and i know of one guy who refuses to sell them in his shop over in the states

nearly didnt post this... but hey im not letting any of you guys here buy rubish your far to great for that[;)]

regards mark.... i'll run for cover now!!!
binman

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:20 pm

I'm pretty much set on buying the Revelation 20X80's also. My 2nd choice is Celestron Skymaster 20X80's.

lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Thanks for the warning i think i'll talk with the guys at telescope house and see what they say but maybe your'e right. we'll see?.
pulsar

Postby pulsar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:40 pm

thanks for the input. Binman reckons their really bad could you elaborate as to why you would purchase these bino's also checked out the celestron's and also think they could be good but?.
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:30 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

thanks for the input. Binman reckons their really bad could you elaborate as to why you would purchase these bino's also checked out the celestron's and also think they could be good but?.
[/quote]

The price is good. The weight is good. They seem by review to stand their ground when up against other similar size bins. You get a lot of bang for your buck. Very little in the overall rating difference, but in astronomical terms a little is a pretty big gap, i guess.

I read about 60 reviews of the Skymasters (20X80) and not one person who bought them had a complaint about them. They are more expensive,slightly heavier and as i said, the reviews are Fantastic. Also the Skymaster has an integrated tripod adapter, which i am assuming offers more stability then one of those L bracket adapters?

I'm also planning to buy a Stelios "heavy duty" Horizon mount. Looks great,reviews are great and price and weight are great.

I may very well end up going for the Skymaster 20X80. I thought about the 15X70, but if you are gonna buy big bins......may as well go for the bigger apeture (i want them for DSO observing).

Either way, i will be importing bins from America because i'll be saving quite a bit, and the tripod from the UK (because i cant find the same tripod on any of the American sites). What i save by buying the bins from America i can spend on the tripod coming from the UK. It's a win/win situation.

My head is telling me to go with the Revelations(because of price and bang for buck) but my heart is saying go with the Celestrons (because it is what i know and have tried and tested and am happy with). All the gear i own right now is Celestron and though it may not be the best.............it is within my budget and i am happy with how it performs, so i dont see why Celestron bins would be any different.

I plan on buying in about a month (as a treat for myself for Christmas).

BTW~~~I am by NO means an expert on Bins,Scopes or anything else astronomical. I tend to spend within my budget and make do with what i have. Learning how to get the most out of what i have. I am happy to trunch along for the rest of my life as a "low budget" back garden astronomer because i am purely an observational astronomer. If i like what i see, i am happy. I KNOW i could see things better if i invested more money but why spend a fortune if i am happy with what i have?

Also i am not physically abled enough to own a big 6,8,10,12 inch scope. I find my 3.5 inch scope a pain to move and set up.

Thats the main reason why i now find myself reverting back to binocular astronomy.

lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:23 pm

thanks a lot i forsee you will become a great jedi knight i think i will go with the revelations as like you i am on a tight budget but like yourself thinkl the celestron's a good set and could be tempted by the same importation idea maybe america's still good for something cheers mate[:)][:)]
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:56 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: pulsar

thanks a lot i forsee you will become a great jedi knight i think i will go with the revelations as like you i am on a tight budget but like yourself thinkl the celestron's a good set and could be tempted by the same importation idea maybe america's still good for something cheers mate[:)][:)]
[/quote]

Not sure if i should be naming names here but i have used www.telescopes.com in the past and found them a joy to deal with. I recieved my goods within 3 days of ordering and when i emailed them to thank them for such a swift service, the emailed me back and could not thank me enough for my kind words. They said "It is not often that we get "THANK YOU" emails, usually just complaints.......so we will pass this email (my email) around to all departments in the business".

That's why i will always use them from now on. As a customer, it is lovely for a company to take time out to "THANK YOU" for your "THANK YOU".

lukeskywatcher

Postby pulsar » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 am

Cheers mate will check out their site but now it's nebula time [:D][:)]
pulsar

Postby lukeskywatcher » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:30 am

I'm hoping to see a few Nebs with my new 20X80's.
lukeskywatcher

Next

Return to Equipment Advice