Revelation 10" Dobsonian - info needed

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Revelation 10" Dobsonian - info needed

Postby barrettgillelan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:20 pm

NOW LOOKING AT GETTING A 10" REVELATION DOBSONIAN. PLEASE SEE MY POST AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Hi, I'm looking to get my first telescope (woo hoo!) and wanted a little advice.

After reading various websites I decided I probably want an 8" Dobsonian, and found the 'Skywatch Skyliner 200P 8" Dobsonian' which appears to meet all my requirements. At £240 it is within my price range (up to £300) so I was all ready to buy one.

I then came across this site and read a review from last year for a Revelation 8" Dobsonian. This seemed to get praise from everyone, and was also at a competitive price.

My three questions are:

1) Where can I buy a Revelation 8" Dobsonian from (as a Google search doesn't list anywhere)?
2) How do the Skywatch and Revelation compare?
3) Is there a telescope in my price range that you would recommend ahead of both of these?

Thank you.

Chris
barrettgillelan

RE: Revelation 8" Dobsonian vs Skywatcher Skyliner 200P

Postby smashing » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:20 pm

I have a revelation 12" Dob and its a beast[:)] www.telescopehouse.co.uk sold the revelation scopes but i think they have all sold out now, but you could ring them and try. Of the skywatcher i have no idea but im sure someone can help you.

adam

smashing

Postby kernel cluster » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Chris

The Revelation is from Telescope House, the Dobs are badged under that name and i believe they are made by GSO to Telescope House's specification, i have not seen these being advertised recently by Telescope House but give them a call. The Skywatcher 200 dob is probably equally as good optically but they do not come fitted with a crayford focuser like the Rev 200 dob or a cooling fan.[&:]
kernel cluster

Postby barrettgillelan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Cheers guys, I think I'll give them a ring and see if I can get the Revelation (if not I'll go for the Skywatch) unless anyone else has anything to say on the topic...?
barrettgillelan

Postby rottendj » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Chris this was listed recently and is bigger than what you had in mind!
stuff here generally doesn't hang around long and some great bargains are to be had!!!
[url=http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=12394]http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=12394[/url]

regards, Mike...
rottendj

Postby kernel cluster » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:53 pm

A quick bit of research and found they are a GSO product from Taiwan and their only UK distributor is Telescope House, check out the GSO optical Company on the web for full details.
kernel cluster

Postby barrettgillelan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:36 pm

[font="ms sans serif"][size=2]Thanks for the advice guys, I have spoken to this guy and I'm going to view the Revelation in the next couple of days. First I just wanted to check in and see if you thought this was a good deal, and how much the 10" Revelation dob cost originally new.[/size][/font]
[font="ms sans serif"][size=2][/size][/font]
[font="ms sans serif"][size=2]The advert reads:[/size][/font]
[font="ms sans serif"][size=2]Revelation 10"(250mm) dob

In pristine condition ..no chips, dings or scratch's,very little use and all at home. (had it out 6 times)
Smooth running bearings
2 " crayford focuser (+1.25 adaptor)
Finder upgraded to 50mm right angle
tube cap
fan assisted cool down
light weight alluminium trolley for easy transportation.
26mm 2" eye piece

£250 (no offers)[/size][/font]
[font="ms sans serif"][size=2]Thanks[/size][/font]
[font="ms sans serif"][size=2]Also, can someone tell me roughly how long this scope will be?[/size][/font]

barrettgillelan

Postby 1981astro » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Just found this if any use - [url=http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php/topic,524.0.html]http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php/topic,524.0.html[/url]

Also did a quick google search and it seems that they sold brand new for about £400-500 in 2005 onwards.

Just found this review in Sky at Night magazine! [url=http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OD250L_review.pdf]http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/OD250L_review.pdf[/url] - April 2006 and the telescope was £329 brand new.
1981astro

RE: Revelation 10" Dobsonian - info needed

Postby smashing » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 pm

They are very big It comes up to my shoulder when its wertical and im just at 6 foot but im sure its a bit less for the 10" than the 12".
smashing

RE: Revelation 10" Dobsonian - info needed

Postby gneiss » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Spinx

1) Where can I buy a Revelation 8" Dobsonian from (as a Google search doesn't list anywhere)? [/quote]
Much as it pains me to advertise a competitor, I went to look at the 12" version of this scope at Pulsar...

It was a while back now and I don't know if they are stockists of these but it was certainly there large as life when I went [:D]
gneiss

Next

Return to General