Switch to mobile style

Rosette Nebula

Rosette Nebula

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:53 pm

The Rosette Nebula (C49) in Monoceros one that I have never seen with my binoculars, even from a fairly dark sky. However, on the 11th Jan, I was able to get 7 good 90sec images using a Canon DSLR, a 300mm lens and a UHC filter piggy backed on a goto altazimuth. I've had to resort to some extreme processing to bring out the detail, and the stars are a bit over exposed.

I'd love to show you, but this paranoid forum software doesn't yet trust me :(
I'll hopefully post it later. :)
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Rosette Nebula

Postby dave.b » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:24 pm

Great, look forward to seeing it.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Do you have an online photo gallery. I use Flickr and Photobucket.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi

Yes, I use 'photobucket' from the old Astronomy forum. In fact some of us from there are still chatting via the 'conversion' pages which never got closed down. I can't post links at the moment, but every post is hopefully bringing me to the time when I can!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Let's see if I have amassed enough credibility with the software to allow me to post the image.

Success!
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Aratus wrote:Let's see if I have amassed enough credibility with the software to allow me to post the image.

Success!

Very nice - and good to see what you can get with a piggy backed dSLR on an AltAz mount. I might try that myself.

Is yours a modded Canon (i.e. with the IR filter removed/replaced)?
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:47 pm

My camera is a Canon 500D. I'd love to 'mod' it, but it gets used for family photos etc.
The lens is an ordinary EF 75-300mm zoom. Again it gets used for terrestrial use as well.
I find an ordinary 1.25" filter fits at the back of the lens which solves the problem (and cost) of getting a 58mm filter for the front, or special Canon body filter. I used a UHC filter which gives a very dark sky but lets most of the nebula light through.
90sec works well, but the tracking needs to be spot on for the position of the object. There is some rotation, of course, but since the Rosette only fills the centre portion, the worse parts at the edge can be discarded. I use the highest ISO setting and rely on the stacking to smooth out the graininess. I picked the best images and stacked them with DeepSkyStacker. The resulting image still shows the nebula rather faintly, but it can easily be processed to bring out the detail.
Aratus

Postby Gfamily2 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:54 am

Aratus wrote:My camera is a Canon 500D. I'd love to 'mod' it, but it gets used for family photos etc.
The lens is an ordinary EF 75-300mm zoom. Again it gets used for terrestrial use as well.
I find an ordinary 1.25" filter fits at the back of the lens which solves the problem (and cost) of getting a 58mm filter for the front, or special Canon body filter. I used a UHC filter which gives a very dark sky but lets most of the nebula light through.
90sec works well, but the tracking needs to be spot on for the position of the object. There is some rotation, of course, but since the Rosette only fills the centre portion, the worse parts at the edge can be discarded. I use the highest ISO setting and rely on the stacking to smooth out the graininess. I picked the best images and stacked them with DeepSkyStacker. The resulting image still shows the nebula rather faintly, but it can easily be processed to bring out the detail.

Interesting - thanks.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:24 pm

It occurred to me today that I had better point out that the filter theoretically it could come loose while the mirror is up and strike the CCD. :o I use a small section of a 1.25" rubber innertube to hold it in place. I'm a great believer in trying to use what I have first, before shelling out money for something new 8-) It sometimes works!
Aratus

Postby dave.b » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:52 am

Nice picture!

I use an Astronomik CLS clip filter with my Canon. I hadn't thought to see if a standard EP filter would safely sit in front of the camera's mirror. I'll be checking that out now. I guess, that like the Astronomik clip filters, you can't do this with a Canon EFS lens because they protrude into the camera's body.

Regards
Dave B.
dave.b

Next

Return to Astro imaging