S@N telescope project

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

S@N telescope project

Postby astromanian » Tue May 20, 2008 1:36 am

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many readers have began construction of the telescope project detailed in the recent issues of Sky at Night?

If so, have there been any issues / problems in the constuction? or any improvements in the initial design?

Having waited for the 3 issues, I have only just started out making this. Any comments would be welcome.

Ian.

astromanian

RE: S@N telescope project

Postby sallan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:23 pm

I have made this telescope and am more than pleased with the results , the plans are spot on i did have to tweak a few things as I used some different materials in places ie 18mmx 18mm for baffle supports the fillet piece 18mm ply as I used plumbing pipe for the focuser and a little bit more depth gave me more strength gluing in pipe joint in place. I am happy with the results of the focuser as I did not fancy gluing card and paper this seemed way to messy and would take to long if you would like photos of my focuser let me know, will send you photos. This alternative clean cheap and easy.

Enjoy your project and are you grinding your own mirror?

Simon

sallan

Postby wgater » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:53 am

That's great news Simon! Why not email us some pics?!? inbox@skyatnightmagazine.com
wgater

Postby sallan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:56 pm

Will,

I have sent photos to link you posted hope they come out alright.

Simon
sallan

Postby astromanian » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 am

Hi Simon.

I have nearly finished the woodworking side. I went along with 12mm struts - but had them cut and planed in a hardwood to 12mm at a local wood yard, as I didn't fancy cutting down ply-wood. The fillet was extended very slightly as I may "cheat", and have allowed room for a commercial focusser! - we'll see. Also, I could not get my hands on 3mm ply for the skin of the OT, so I went with 6mm and the overall strength an squareness is v.good. I hope this doesn't cause problems with the balance - may have to counterweigh.

I too want to grind a mirror - I have managed to track down Jean Texerau's "How to Make a Telescope". Green Witch in Cambridge have these, Call Neil/Wendy on 01954 211 288 .They offer a first class service! I also have a much older book "Handbook for Telescope Making" (1962) by N.E. Howard - I think there is on on eBay. Next one will be the ATM book by Stephen Tonkin who I'm sure will offer a wealth of experience on the subject.

I will be doing a lot of reading first before I endevour.... I hope there are many more posts with advice from others who have successfully made there own mirrors - in particular, sources for the necessary materials.

Ian
[color="#990000"]Astro[/color]man[color="#3399cc"]ian[/color]
astromanian

Postby sallan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:13 am

Hello Ian,

You wont have any balancing problems if you do the broom handle test when you are ready to attach your main bearings .I was worried about that as well but made sure that the cradle and bearings were quite tight with a strip of carpet tile in between keeps the scope in position even if balance is not spot on .

Please keep me posted with how you get on with your mirror or any interesting things you discover.

Simon
sallan

Postby astromanian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:16 am

So far, I have completed the tube assembly and cradle woodwork for the scope. I have written[u] twice[/u] to Camden ATM Soc. enclosing a SAE's but after a few weeks now I still have not had a reply. I am a little dissapointed.

Do you - [S@N] have a contact email or phone number so I can obtain a parts/price list to continue with your featured project?

The whole project has ground to a halt as I need parts to complete - like teflon bearings etc...

I have spent time and money on this project - only to be ignored by its author.

I would appreciate a prompt reply!

Ian
astromanian

Postby wgater » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:43 am

Hi Ian,

Can you send me your email and we'll help you out.

Cheers,

Will
wgater

Postby astromanian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks Will. Just as my patience ran out, guess what, it has arrived in this morning's post with a covering letter apologising for his delay. Perhaps a little note to yourselves explaining the situation may have alleviated our disappointment in the lack of response.

Anyway that aside we can now continue on and look foward to working further on the project with their help.

Ian
astromanian

Postby wgater » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Great! That's good to hear Ian.

Good luck with the build. If you (or anyone else reading this for that matter) have pics of your build (and maybe tips for others) send them into us.
wgater

Next

Return to Telescope Making