Saturn

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Saturn

Postby Aratus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:46 pm

With Jupiter way over to the west, attention is now drawn to Saturn in the east. The problem is that Saturn is currently in the lower part of the ecliptic (Ophiuchus) and is very low down. Saturn isn't the brightest of planets at the best of times, and struggles in the murk when it is low down. On top of that it is skirting along the top of my hedge, so not every part of the telescope is 'seeing' it.
I didn't expect a brilliant image under those conditions, but it isn't too bad. The planet's shadow on the rings is visible. The yellowish equatorial band is recognisable. The Cassini Division is clear enough on the wide left and right edges of the rings, but fades away on the thinner, nearer part of the ring.

The hedge has been trimmed down a bit since this image was taken, so maybe future attempts will be better.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Saturn

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 am

Like a lot of people I'm beginning to get fed up of 'Photobucket' disrupting image hosting in order to extract yet more money from their users. :x I'm sorry this photo hasn't been available, and all that has been seen is a 'nag' from them. I'm now using 'Post Image' for all new postings.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, with an 80mm refractor as a guidescope. They are housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Aratus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 am

Despite trying, I've not been able to get a better photo. From my location there seems to have been a lot of haze in that direction.
Here is a different approach - a 1 sec exposure to reveal some of the satellite moons of Saturn.

Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Aratus I hope you can get a better picture once the haze dissapears,could it be light pollution from somewhere or is it just the atmosphere.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am

It is the atmosphere. From here Saturn looks far dimmer in the south than it should be. It isn't a low level mist, or it would pick up some light pollution. The southern horizon is actually fairly dark. There has been a lot of very thin high cloud about which has been producing this haze low on the southern horizon. A change in the weather might clear it.

A dim looking Saturn either means greater ISO and graininess, or longer exposures and blurring. Either way it affects the details. Frankly, the planet is pretty low down now anyway, so I'm not expecting much, but I should be getter better detail than this. Astronomer's patience required!
Aratus

Postby Aratus » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Now my Canon is not talking to the computer, I have to use another camera. All the usual problems plus having to learn how to use a new camera and software. Two different exposures for the planet (30ms) and satellites. (100ms) Titan is looking very orange. Rhea to the left. Tethys & Dione to the right 2158UT 04/08/2017

Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches