Scope

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Scope

Postby paulygod » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:26 pm

Hi there I'm on the brink of buying the scope below. It's my first one; do I need to get anything else with it? Extra/different lenses for example? And, if it's motorised, can I still use it manually, without using the motor?

SKYWATCHER EXPLORER-200 (HEQ5)
200mm (8") f/1000 Motorised Parabolic Newtonian Reflector
[ul][*]Magnification (with eyepieces supplied): x40, x80, x100, x200
[*]Highest Practical Power (Potential): x400
[*]Diameter of Primary Mirror: 200mm
[*]Telescope Focal Length: 1000mm (f/5)
[*]Eyepiece Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
[*]x2 Deluxe Barlow Lens (with camera adaptor)
[*]Dual-Fit 1.25"/2" Focuser
[*]Parabolic Primary Mirror
[*]0.5mm Ultra-Thin Secondary Mirror Supports
[*]9x50 Finderscope
[*]Direct SLR Camera Connection
[*]HEQ5 Super Heavy-Duty Equatorial Mount
[*]Built-in Dual-Axis Motor Drives
[*]Built-in Polar Alignment Scope Holder & Polarscope
[*]1.5" Stainless Steel Pipe Tripod with Accessory Tray
[*]77% more Light Gathering than 150mm

[/ul]

Prod. Code

SRP £ 599.00
paulygod

RE: Scope

Postby brian mac » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi there, all you need now is a starchart, or better still pc softwhere, starry night enthusiast is a good one, or philips sky watching through a telescope.[:D], These are also andy on a cloudy night [:@]. the scope you are buying is a good one, have lots of fun, and clear skyes...[size=3]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

Postby Chanctonbury » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:13 pm

Paul,

Excellent choice - you are going to have fun! This outfit comes with a 25mm and a 10mm eye piece which with the 2 x Barlow Lens will give you plenty to be getting on with. At some time, you may well wish to buy a 40mm EP to compliment these giving you a wider field of view for objects like M45.

You can definitely move this mount manually and, indeed, you will want to as the motor drive maximum speed is 16 X Sidereal speed (tracking speed) which is actually quite slow. What you will do is manually move the telescope to near the object you want to view and then use the motordrives to zero in on the chosen object at 16X then 8X and then set the RA drive to Sidereal to track it while you view.

The only other items that I would consider to be a must, apart from the Star Charts already suggested, is a red LED torch (for assisting with Polar Alignment and looking at your charts without destroying your night vision) and a 17Ah rechargeable battery (usually sold in places like Maplins/Screwfix/Machine Mart for starting cars with flat batteries) to power it as it will eat through 'C' cells lke there is no tomorrow!

Good luck with your purchase
Chanctonbury

Postby mrkrigdon » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:06 am

Hi paul, The telescope i have got myself is a EQ5 i have had it now for 3 yrs and i haven't had any problems with it yet.The scope i have got can be used manually or by a motor if i am doing some astro.Last year i got myself a 2 inch eyepiece and a 2 inch barlow lens they give alovely field of view.I think you are making a right choice good luck with clear nights Mark.[8|]
mrkrigdon

Postby drvibe » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:33 am

You won't be dissapointed with that tube, I wasn't, it turned out to be a lot better than expected. As for bits and bobs, you have all you need for enjoying the night sky, but you could add some maintenance tools later such as collimation tools, just to keep the scope at it's best. But remember relax and enjoy, don't get bogged down with gear fever!

Colin
drvibe

Postby paulygod » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks guys, this is all helpful stuff.

Once it arrives and I get it set up I'll post to let you know how I'm getting on.

Now all we need is some good weather.

[:)]
paulygod

Postby Chanctonbury » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:26 pm

[quote]Now all we need is some good weather. [/quote]

Sadly true and the really bad news is that I too have some new gear arriving at the end of the week so that guarantees poor weather over the Bank Holiday weekend - my apologies to all in advance ...
Chanctonbury

Postby paulygod » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:50 pm

I
paulygod

Postby albireo380 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:40 pm

Hmmm filters see to be gaining ground as an requirement these days, just starting to look into this aspect myself (research only at present mind)

cheers

MoJo.
albireo380

Postby drvibe » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:30 pm

I know who to blame for any bad weather, I wonder if you can buy weather pollution filters [;)]

Colin
drvibe

Next

Return to Equipment Advice